Tutorials, Taking Away The Magic?

Decorating By Claire138 Updated 6 Aug 2014 , 7:53pm by enga

ellavanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellavanilla Posted 6 Aug 2014 , 3:41pm
post #31 of 38

When I was pregnant with my son, I watched a birthing video of a woman deliver a child in 3 pushes and then drink a glass of orange juice. No shouting, no medical intervention. blah blah blah. And it's true, now I deliver all my babies with three pushes and a cold beverage...because I saw it in a video.

No matter how many videos I've seen, I still can't cover a cake with fondant or do the smokey eye technique on my face. 

Sometimes people are dumb, or just rude. 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 6 Aug 2014 , 3:57pm
post #32 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellavanilla 

When I was pregnant with my son, I watched a birthing video of a woman deliver a child in 3 pushes and then drink a glass of orange juice. No shouting, no medical intervention. blah blah blah. And it's true, now I deliver all my babies with three pushes and a cold beverage...because I saw it in a video.

No matter how many videos I've seen, I still can't cover a cake with fondant or do the smokey eye technique on my face. 

Sometimes people are dumb, or just rude. 

:lol: bwuwahahahahaha -- three hours of pushing, a trip to surgery and make mine a mimosa --

but don't worry about the smokey eye thing -- it happens naturally --it's kind of more on the under eye rather than the eye lid though -- you'll switch to wanting to figure out how to remove it heheheheheh :-D 

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 6 Aug 2014 , 5:19pm
post #33 of 38

the internet changed everything.  Absolutely everything.  It opened up every single private and sometimes tasteless things on planet earth.......with full color high definition photos attached.   Gross!!!

What it has done with caking it has done with every single aspect  in our world.  Overload, oversaturate, over expose.

Too much information.  Too fast and too often.   Everyone thinks that a ten second search of Google and their a frickin' genius in every area of life.  Sadly they are not.

Experts and experienced craftsman in their fields are still to be appreciated. 

SweetTzippy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetTzippy Posted 6 Aug 2014 , 5:37pm
post #34 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBalaska 

How positively rude that person was to you. 

Quote:

How positively rude that person was to you.  Some People have no walking-around-sense at all!

It seems that every business has their share of unpleasant people - cake decorating is not excluded from this.  That person probably doesn't find kindness or the sunny side of anything.

This is on my mind right now as I just got off the phone.  A call from a friend.  I'd sent her a dozen of the pink butterfly cupcakes, although she and her husband don't care for white cake. She usually finds someone to share with.

Yesterday she took them to a neighbors house, and gave them as a present to a family with four small children; whose father had just died.  The children were delighted and said they had not tasted cake like that before, with little candy flowers and butterflies. When they asked her how they were made, my friend said......... "It's magic."........

"That" person?  Unfortunately it is not only ONE person.  I hear that often...

People see something done in a short video, many times by a highly skilled and experienced professional using all the specific -and expensive!- tools needed and are left with the impression that it is really very easy to do.  Not to mention that many times the video was already edited for sake of time with many long hours of in between steps shortened giving another false impression that it can be done quickly too.  Hence, the client does not justify the high price of a cake, if it is so easy & fast to do, not realizing that in reality that cake will take days to be completed instead of the 30 minutes shown in the video!

SweetTzippy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetTzippy Posted 6 Aug 2014 , 5:38pm
post #35 of 38

Quote:

the internet changed everything.  Absolutely everything.  It opened up every single private and sometimes tasteless things on planet earth.......with full color high definition photos attached.   Gross!!!

What it has done with caking it has done with every single aspect  in our world.  Overload, oversaturate, over expose.

Too much information.  Too fast and too often.   Everyone thinks that a ten second search of Google and their a frickin' genius in every area of life.  Sadly they are not.

Totally agree!!!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 6 Aug 2014 , 7:40pm
post #36 of 38

I know I've told this story before, but I made a cake for a local plumber's union. They wanted it to look like their building and to serve 200+, so I did the quote and they were all "Oh, we're in the wrong business, hahaha." I told them that since they were union they'd appreciate that they weren't paying for the cake, they were paying for the skill to make the cake look like they wanted it to. They all said "Oh, yeah, we get it." :D

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 6 Aug 2014 , 7:42pm
post #37 of 38

Quote:

Yep.

enga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enga Posted 6 Aug 2014 , 7:53pm
post #38 of 38

Wow, with Google it seems like you're damned if you do and damned if you don't........go figure.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%