Bulk Up A Soupy Brownie Recipe?

Decorating By TheDoughHo Updated 3 Aug 2014 , 7:27pm by MBalaska

TheDoughHo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheDoughHo Posted 3 Aug 2014 , 5:09am
post #1 of 9

I have a brownie recipe whose flavor is to die for and whose texture is a nightmare.

There is about 60g of flour in the recipe and it makes for a brownie that is BEYOND fudgy. A bit too much, in fact. They are a NIGHTMARE to cut for serving portions. Usually fall completely apart.

I tried doubling the flour. They rose rather high and well, just didn't taste very good. Rather dense.

I need a happy medium. Any advice on beefing up their stability without sacrificing flavor?

Thanks!

8 replies
winniemog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
winniemog Posted 3 Aug 2014 , 9:26am
post #2 of 9

ADo you like the texture of them to eat? Because if it's just cutting that's a problem, you just chill the cooked brownies well and then cut them cold.

Otherwise you could try adding some almond meal to the recipe. I'm not sure why the brownies rose so high when you added extra flour - shouldn't happen unless you whipped the eggs or added a leavener?

I have tried so many brownie recipes, I haven't yet found the perfect combo of taste and texture - I have perfect ones for each of those, but not together. Still, it's fun trying and tasting....

Rfisher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rfisher Posted 3 Aug 2014 , 1:59pm
post #3 of 9

ADo you like the ones from the edge of the pan better? If so, I'd bake them in a larger pan than you have been, or bake individually. Maybe that might help?

Edited to add: try bread flour?

Krypto Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Krypto Posted 3 Aug 2014 , 2:50pm
post #4 of 9

AThis is my favorite recipe. I add 1/2 tsp salt. Make sure your ingredients are at room temp. Gently stir in the flour and don't over mix. I never make the icing. Best wishes!

http://tastykitchen.com/recipes/desserts/are-we-in-heaven-noe280a6ite28099s-just-the-brownies/

TheDoughHo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheDoughHo Posted 3 Aug 2014 , 3:08pm
post #5 of 9

I've used bread flour and I've tried baking them longer but they are just SOUPY. The center is obviously, the worst. If I was scooping them out into a bowl and topping with icing, they would be perfect. But these brownies must be frosted and I watch our customers struggle to pick them up.

I've tried cutting them frozen but within minutes they are soft and they stick to the knife. When the knife pulls up the brownie comes with it.

Is adding more flour just not the right route? They didn't taste nearly as sweet post flour-addition. Should I add the same % of both? same % of all dry?

Thanks everyone!

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 3 Aug 2014 , 4:08pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDoughHo 

I watch our customers struggle to pick them up.

This is key. You want customers to love your brownie and not be annoyed with getting it into their mouths. If this was my brownie recipe, I would add 25% more flour instead of 100% which you said did not work.

Can you bake them in paper cupcake liners? There's no cutting, paper gives the customer something to hold onto, and the individual size may help with baking to a drier consistency.  

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 3 Aug 2014 , 5:46pm
post #7 of 9

Did someone say brownies? Count me in.  I love brownies!!  Yummy!!!  Krypto, I am going to try your brownie recipe!!!

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 3 Aug 2014 , 7:03pm
post #8 of 9

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krypto 

This is my favorite recipe. I add 1/2 tsp salt. Make sure your ingredients are at room temp. Gently stir in the flour and don't over mix. I never make the icing. Best wishes!

http://tastykitchen.com/recipes/desserts/are-we-in-heaven-noe280a6ite28099s-just-the-brownies/

Krypto, that is exactly the same recipe as I use.  They are perfection every single time.  I've had it for decades so I don't know where my recipe originally came from.  They are fabulous.

MimiFix, I haven't baked these in cupcake liners yet, it's a good idea!  Perhaps in a square cupcake pan.

I just made a batch yesterday and I sat them in cupcake liners to box them for a friend, just so they'd be easier and neater to pick up and eat.

http://cakecentral.com/g/i/3271206/a-quickie-batch-of-fudge-brownies-didnt-bother-measuring-before-i-cut-them-chocolate-fudge-icing-piped-on-top-white-modeling-chocolate-flowers-for-just-a-little-touch-of-something-for-fun/

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 3 Aug 2014 , 7:27pm
post #9 of 9

Ohhhh I just remembered the Brownie Bites recipe that I made last year.  Forgot all about them.  It was a recipe for Cake-Like Brownies and baked in mini-cupcake pans, and I think that I found it in the library on one of my recipe searches.

They were rich tasting like a brownies, but baked up nicely in the paper liners.  I put a simple Swiss Meringue Buttercream on them. No soupy mess with that recipe.

MINI MUFFIN  BROWNIE BITES

http://cakecentral.com/g/i/3210431/mini-cupcake-brownie-bites-with-buttercream-icing/sort/display_order/

• 1/2 teaspoon baking powder

• Dash salt

• 1 cup all-purpose flour(5 oz.)

• 1/2 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa(1 ½ oz.)

• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

• 4 eggs

• 12 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted (1 ½ stick)

• 1 ½ cup sugar(10 ½ oz.)

Directions

Heat oven to 350°F. Line small mini muffin cups (1-3/4 inches in diameter) with paper bake cups.

Stir together butter, sugar and vanilla in medium bowl. Add eggs; beat well with spoon. Stir together flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt; gradually add to butter mixture, beating with spoon until well blended. Carefully Fill muffin cups 2/3 full with batter;  keep the scoop high & in the middle to keep from touching sides with batter.

Bake 14 to 16 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool slightly – 1 min in pan; remove brownies from pan to wire rack. Cool completely. About 30 brownies.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%