Has Anyone Used Ws Raspberry Curd As A Filling?

Decorating By agildart Updated 5 Aug 2014 , 8:10pm by KellyKSD

agildart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
agildart Posted 2 Aug 2014 , 9:58pm
post #1 of 9

I'm making my first fruit-filled cake (ack!) and the CakeBoss raspberry filling recipe I used just isn't coming out the way I want it to.  I see on Williams-Sonoma's website that they sell a raspberry curd, and I'm curious as to whether anyone here has ever used it?  This is the link, and it does say it can be used as a filling, but as I'm not familiar with curds in general, I'm just hesitant to run out and buy it.  

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/raspberry-curd/?pkey=e%7Craspberry%2Bcurd%7C1%7Cbest%7C0%7C1%7C24%7C%7C1&cm_src=PRODUCTSEARCH||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_-NoMerchRules

8 replies
liz at sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz at sugar Posted 2 Aug 2014 , 10:05pm
post #2 of 9

I haven't used it, but I bet it is fabulous!  You could just make a raspberry curd, cooking down some berries and straining the resulting juice and using that along with some lemon juice in a traditional lemon curd recipe.  Either way would be divine. :)

Liz

agildart Posted 2 Aug 2014 , 11:41pm
post #3 of 9

Wish I hadn't made that trip to WS, lol.  It was gross!!!  Doesn't even taste like raspberry and it's like a brownish red color.  Not nice at all.

I'm throwing my filling in a saucepan and heating it up, hoping to thicken it up a bit.  I don't know why it's so thin!!!

liz at sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz at sugar Posted 3 Aug 2014 , 12:19am
post #4 of 9

Oh, so sorry it wasn't any good!  Usually WS is pretty good about carrying stuff that is high quality. :(

Could you add some instant clear jel or gelatin or something to help yours thicken up?

Liz

agildart Posted 3 Aug 2014 , 12:54am
post #5 of 9

Quote:

Originally Posted by liz at sugar 

Oh, so sorry it wasn't any good!  Usually WS is pretty good about carrying stuff that is high quality. :(

Could you add some instant clear jel or gelatin or something to help yours thicken up?

Liz

I love their lemon curd, actually.  But yeah, this raspberry curd was GROSS.  If someone gave it to me and didn't tell me what it was, I wouldn't even be able to identify it as raspberry.  Live and learn!

I put it back in the saucepan, added a little more cornstarch and heated it up again.  It thickened up a little, but I am still worried that when they cut into it, it's just going to come pouring out.  That would be mortifying!!!  I did put a good dam of buttercream so hopefully that will help.  I've just seen those sleeve fillings and the filling is so thick, mine is definitely thinner than that.

Rfisher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rfisher Posted 3 Aug 2014 , 2:19pm
post #6 of 9

ASorry the WS curd failed. I am surprised as well. I am still curious what it tastes like, though. Check this out: http://cakecentral.com/t/761616/how-do-you-do-apply-fruit-fillings As long as your dam holds, and the flavor is there, it seems some don't care if it seeps in a bit! I don't think I would care.

KellyKSD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KellyKSD Posted 5 Aug 2014 , 6:08am
post #7 of 9

Are you letting the filling come to a boil? You don't have to boil it forever, but when cornstarch is added to a liquid it typically needs to come to a good bubble before you get the full thickening effect. I learned this the first time I tried to make a lemon meringue pie from scratch. I thought I had cooked the filling long enough, as it seemed to thicken up (and I thought it would scorch if I brought it up to a full boil), but it never sat up and was a runny, yucky disaster. So I tried again, waited for it to actually come to a boil, and boy, what a difference! Super thick, and set up beautifully. I've never tried the Cake Boss recipe, so maybe you are doing everything right. Just a suggestion.

agildart Posted 5 Aug 2014 , 2:09pm
post #8 of 9

Thank you for the reply!!  Yes, I did let it come to a boil.  It definitely wasn't like water or anything, but just hadn't thickened up enough in my opinion.  When I added more cornstarch and brought it to a boil again and then let it cool, it thickened up nicely in the end.

The best news is that a person that attended the party voluntarily told me that everyone raved about the cake and it was amazing!!  Yay!!

KellyKSD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KellyKSD Posted 5 Aug 2014 , 8:10pm
post #9 of 9

Glad you had a good result in the end! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%