Cake To Serve 250 Guests

Decorating By sweettreat101 Updated 5 Aug 2014 , 6:28pm by -K8memphis

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 2 Aug 2014 , 7:26pm
post #1 of 23

I haven't made a cake since 2012 but a good friend of mine is desperate. Her grand daughter is getting married on 8-16 and her cake decorator has been diagnosed with cancer. They want a three tiered stacked cake and need to feed 250 guests. My largest round pan is a 14". What three size pans would be good for this size of cake and what size side cakes would feed this many. Thank you for any info. I lost my cake passion but I have to make this happen for a friend.

22 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 2 Aug 2014 , 8:00pm
post #2 of 23

you could do a 14x10x6 and that's 128 servings so you could actually do two of those to get your servings

or

you could do the 14x10x6 then do another 14 and three more 6's-- you cut the 6's in half and cut side against the 14 --surround the extra 14 with those to make it look scalloped you would have a 4- tier but you are at 242 servings --

or

just do the 14x10x6 and do kitchen kitchen cakes  to make up the other 122 servings -- so do you have a 9x13? that would be two of those to make up the difference if they were all set up as tall a slice as the wedding cake and you are cutting the standard 1x2x4 inch slices -- or maybe two 9x13's plus a dozen cupcakes -- right around there

reginaherrin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reginaherrin Posted 2 Aug 2014 , 9:24pm
post #3 of 23

For me, I would do either a 5 tiered cake or 6 tiered cake to feed that amount of people. I would either do 6",8",10",12" and 14" which will feed 208 and then do a kitchen cake or either a grooms cake to make up the difference or a 6",8",10",12",14" and 16" which will feed 308.  I know you don't have anything bigger then a 14" but do you have any cake stores around you that you can rent one?

-K8memphis Posted 2 Aug 2014 , 10:07pm
post #4 of 23

Quote:

Originally Posted by reginaherrin 

For me, I would do either a 5 tiered cake or 6 tiered cake to feed that amount of people. I would either do 6",8",10",12" and 14" which will feed 208 and then do a kitchen cake or either a grooms cake to make up the difference or a 6",8",10",12",14" and 16" which will feed 308.  I know you don't have anything bigger then a 14" but do you have any cake stores around you that you can rent one?

but what would you do if they asked for a three tier?

reginaherrin Posted 2 Aug 2014 , 10:12pm
post #5 of 23

If I had a customer ask this then, as the professional that knows what can an cannot be achieved, I would tell them it was not possible to feed that amount of people with only 3 tiers.  The biggest 3 tiered cake I would do is an 8",12" and 16" which feeds 180 but this size would need a topper or something to go on top since 8" top tiers don't really look all that great. 

-K8memphis Posted 2 Aug 2014 , 10:39pm
post #6 of 23

for me i would be happy to provide a three tier to anyone and provide the rest of the servings in kitchen cakes or whatever -- if they want a 3-tier it's no problem for me and fwiw all my cakes are beautiful no matter what the size -- i only make beautiful cakes 

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweettreat101 

I haven't made a cake since 2012 but a good friend of mine is desperate. Her grand daughter is getting married on 8-16 and her cake decorator has been diagnosed with cancer. They want a three tiered stacked cake and need to feed 250 guests. My largest round pan is a 14". What three size pans would be good for this size of cake and what size side cakes would feed this many. Thank you for any info. I lost my cake passion but I have to make this happen for a friend.

reginaherrin Posted 2 Aug 2014 , 11:23pm
post #7 of 23

AThat's great that all your cakes are beautiful. Not really sure why you mentioned that since I did not ask anything relevant to that and certainly did not put your cakes down or anything. I'm really not sure why you are taking offense at my post. My first response was prefaced with me saying if it was me and it was my opinion. Then you asked me what I would do if I was asked this so I told you want I would do. If someone wanted to order a 3 tiered cake from me, I of course would make it but they would have to know it would not feed even close to the entire amount. It seems crazy that someone would only want a 3 tiered cake to feed that amount of people and not be willing to go with a bigger cake. I would also not want to make 3 tiers plus nine million other cakes just to feed enough people. The best option is doing the 3 tiered cake and kitchen cakes.

-K8memphis Posted 2 Aug 2014 , 11:42pm
post #8 of 23

no no no no no no no no offense -- i mean we can both have different opinions yes? i mentioned it because i hear it so often on here -- you don't care for 8" cakes on top because they really don't  look that good to you and that's fine -- i like them for toppers if it fits the circumstances -- i'm just saying i wouldn't make a cake with an 8" top that wasn't beautiful -- they can look awesome -- 

reginaherrin Posted 2 Aug 2014 , 11:52pm
post #9 of 23

AOkay I see what you mean. I don't personally like doing 8" toppers because to me the cake can look a bit off and stubby but I have made a ton of cakes with that size. I'm not saying they aren't beautiful but I would rather do a smaller size. We can definitely have different opinions it just seemed by your wording that you where taking offense but glad to hear otherwise.

sweettreat101 Posted 3 Aug 2014 , 2:57am
post #10 of 23

The problem is she only wants a three tier with extra cakes to make up the servings. I was thinking about a 14,10,6 with three 12" side cakes or four 10" side cakes. When her daughter first begged me to do the cake it was a three tiered cake which I thought okay no big deal but then it turned into 250 servings.

sweettreat101 Posted 3 Aug 2014 , 3:07am
post #11 of 23

Thank you for all of your suggestions. I love it when people say it's just a simple white cake no fondant, going to be easy. Then you find out that it's not simple like they said especially after you  say yes. I'm still waiting for them to send me a picture. The wedding is two weeks away and I still need to order SPS and supplies. From what she described the cake is white buttercream with burlap and a bow with a cake topper. Not sure about the burlap on a cake.

reginaherrin Posted 3 Aug 2014 , 3:35am
post #12 of 23

Why in the world does she just want 3 tiers to feed that amount of people?  That seems very odd.  Are the other cakes going to be displayed or kept in the back so no one will see them?  If they will be displayed, those sizes will look very odd,  just scattered around the 3 tiered cake. 

People don't really know what "a simple cake" looks like. Whenever I hear "simple" I know it will turn out to be some a lot more difficult and complex then they think.

sweettreat101 Posted 3 Aug 2014 , 3:42am
post #13 of 23

The side cakes don't have to be displayed. She just said kitchen cakes.

anavillatoro1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anavillatoro1 Posted 3 Aug 2014 , 4:27am
post #14 of 23

AI am sorry to said this...but is very rude that they are not send you the picture of the cake they want yet, you are doing them a favor and they are not letting you plan ahead, it's a big responsibility. And I vote for the 14x10x6 and two 9x13 if you have it, good luck!

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 3 Aug 2014 , 6:23pm
post #15 of 23

I'd tell her she needs a 4-tier cake and she should buy you an 18" half round pan (that will fit in your oven).

18" = 127

14" = 78

10" = 38

6" = 12

total = 255

sweettreat101 Posted 3 Aug 2014 , 7:18pm
post #16 of 23

Thank you everyone for all of your help. The wedding is going to be outdoors any suggestions on a filling that can handle outside temperatures? They don't even know what flavors of cake to choose. She sent me an email saying that they don't know what people would like that all she knows is white cake. The cake topper is supposed to be a four inch wide topper. Do you think the 6" would be okay for the top or should I do a 7" top?

-K8memphis Posted 3 Aug 2014 , 7:59pm
post #17 of 23

AI'd do straight up white cake and american buttercream and add 1/4 cup flour to add a high humidity strengthening to the icing --

outdoor receptions are not my favorite and I would forego any filling (and the burlap too ;)

i would make it clear that they are responsible for the cake being outdoors -- it is guaranteed to the cake table and your responsibility ends there

-K8memphis Posted 3 Aug 2014 , 8:00pm
post #18 of 23

Aeither 6 or 7

-K8memphis Posted 3 Aug 2014 , 8:08pm
post #19 of 23

AI would also extricate myself from any more instructions possibly dribbling in -- I would say 'on Tuesday i'm going to start my shopping so if there are any further instructions I need them Monday night -- rest assured you will have a beautiful cake don't worry about a thing'

code for 'leave me alone'

sweettreat101 Posted 3 Aug 2014 , 9:34pm
post #20 of 23

Thank you

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 4 Aug 2014 , 3:51am
post #21 of 23

From my experience those 1/2 round pans don't make a *round*.  They usually come out more of an oval.  I don't recommend using them.

I think you should either tell her 3 tiers will not be enough, or go w/kitchen cakes.  Side cakes would be nice but not necessary from what you told us.

sweettreat101 Posted 4 Aug 2014 , 4:16am
post #22 of 23

What brand of clear vanilla is best CK or Wilton. I need to order some for the frosting.

-K8memphis Posted 5 Aug 2014 , 6:28pm
post #23 of 23

i don't know -- hope you got that figured out

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%