Chocolate Cake With Oil Under Fondant

Baking By KatrinaBroughton Updated 3 Aug 2014 , 3:50pm by KatrinaBroughton

KatrinaBroughton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatrinaBroughton Posted 2 Aug 2014 , 11:58am
post #1 of 10

I am experimenting with different chocolate cake recipes and would like to try a recipe with oil instead of butter (Hershey's Chocolate Cake is on that list), but in her Craftsy Class Jenny McCoy suggested that oil based chocolate cakes may not be able to hold the weight of fondant. My gut says the smbc or ganache layer under the fondant would be stable enough that it wouldn't be a problem.

Does anyone else use an oil-based chocolate cake recipe under fondant successfully?

9 replies
drea88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drea88 Posted 2 Aug 2014 , 1:37pm
post #2 of 10

AMy chocolate cake recipe uses oil, and I have used it under fondant with no problems. I usually frost it with SMBC. I have used it as a bottom tier for a two tier cake. I'm a hobby baker, not a professional, so maybe a pro would have a different opinion.

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 2 Aug 2014 , 2:10pm
post #3 of 10

After much trial and error I discovered the double chocolate cake recipe from Epicurious. It has been my go to chocolate cake recipe ever since (with Hershey's special dark cocoa).  It is oil based.  I have used it many times both with SMBC and ganache under the fondant (massa grischuna).  HTH

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Double-Chocolate-Layer-Cake-101275

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 2 Aug 2014 , 2:40pm
post #4 of 10

ASame as above. For my nieces birthday I just used a regular old Duncan Hines and it has oil. Covered in fondant just fine. I Ice with imbc which is essentially the same as smbc

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 2 Aug 2014 , 5:59pm
post #5 of 10

Quote:

Originally Posted by yortma 

After much trial and error I discovered the double chocolate cake recipe from Epicurious. It has been my go to chocolate cake recipe ever since (with Hershey's special dark cocoa).  It is oil based.  I have used it many times both with SMBC and ganache under the fondant (massa grischuna).  HTH

Yortma, this recipe looks a lot like a mud cake, is it very dense?   I'm thinking about making one soon it sounds so delicious.

georgiacakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
georgiacakelady Posted 2 Aug 2014 , 6:26pm
post #6 of 10

AI use the Hershey chocolate cake recipe and most of the cakes I make are fondant covered and I've never had any issues :)

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 3 Aug 2014 , 2:12am
post #7 of 10

Quote:

Originally Posted by MBalaska 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yortma 

Yortma, this recipe looks a lot like a mud cake, is it very dense?   I'm thinking about making one soon it sounds so delicious.

It has a rich deep chocolate taste and is a very dark chocolate color.  It is moist but just barely to the point of being fudgy.  It keeps a crumb.  i have never made a mud cake, so I can't tell you how it compares.  HTH

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 3 Aug 2014 , 10:38am
post #8 of 10

Quote:

Originally Posted by georgiacakelady 

I use the Hershey chocolate cake recipe and most of the cakes I make are fondant covered and I've never had any issues icon_smile.gif

Ditto.

winniemog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
winniemog Posted 3 Aug 2014 , 11:31am
post #9 of 10

AI use an oil-based choc cake recipe, filled with SMBC, covered in ganache and then fondant. So far I've done up to 5 tiers, no issue with weight crushing the cake.

KatrinaBroughton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatrinaBroughton Posted 3 Aug 2014 , 3:50pm
post #10 of 10

Thanks everyone! I used to use the All American Chocolate Butter Cake from the Cake Bible, but I find it a bit dry. I tried the hershey cake, but it sunk on me (I may have under baked it). So far, my favourite is a recipe from Bonnie Gordon College in Toronto that uses oil. I have a single tier kids bday cake to do next weekend so I'll give it a shot.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%