Will Taking Out Baking Powder Affect The Texture/softness Of A Cookie?

Baking By MangoLassi Updated 29 Jul 2014 , 2:38pm by Kathy107

MangoLassi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MangoLassi Posted 27 Jul 2014 , 5:21pm
post #1 of 7

Hello everyone!

The number 1 tip I have found for making non-spreading cookies is to "Leave out the baking powder". I am going to be making cut out sugar cookies, I want a soft cut out cookie.

So I just want to know will leaving out the baking powder change the texture of the cookie? Will it make the cookie much harder?

TIA!

6 replies
AAtKT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AAtKT Posted 27 Jul 2014 , 5:25pm
post #2 of 7

My roll out sugar cookie recipe doesn't call for any leavening (unless you are counting the eggs)... no baking soda... no baking powder... nada... and they are soft...

I think it depends on the recipe...

vldutoit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vldutoit Posted 27 Jul 2014 , 6:46pm
post #3 of 7

ADon't over bake it. If it looks brown it is most likely overbaked. The sheen needs to be gone but not browned. Hth.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 27 Jul 2014 , 7:02pm
post #4 of 7

Quote:

Originally Posted by AAtKT 

My roll out sugar cookie recipe doesn't call for any leavening (unless you are counting the eggs)... no baking soda... no baking powder... nada... and they are soft...

Mine does not either.  They taste wonderful and they've never been hard. It's like Jackies NFSC recipe without the leavening.

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 28 Jul 2014 , 12:00am
post #5 of 7

My original recipe called for baking powder, but I found they puffed up way too much. After much tweaking (adding less and less) I've found the recipe doesn't need it at all! And the texture is still perfect. The key is to not over bake them. Like vldutoit already said, bake just until they lose their sheen.

MangoLassi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MangoLassi Posted 28 Jul 2014 , 6:33pm
post #6 of 7

Ok thanks everyone:-D

Kathy107 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kathy107 Posted 29 Jul 2014 , 2:38pm
post #7 of 7

I made the No Fail Recipe a few times without the baking powder and they were hard.  When I add the 1 tsp of baking powder they are softer and don't really spread at all.  Everyone likes them with the baking powder in my house.  Let us know how yours turns out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%