So You're Self Taught. Ok….

Lounge By AZCouture Updated 3 Aug 2014 , 12:15pm by bubs1stbirthday

Gingerlocks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingerlocks Posted 28 Jul 2014 , 2:13pm
post #31 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by maybenot 

Well, I guess for those of us who aren't self-taught, we could qualify our answers/advice with, " I've spent thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours on professional training."......

I have actually stated that when people want one of my cakes "but the (insert cheap cake ladies name here) charges less than half of that! But I'd really love one of your's they  are beautiful and I know you'd do a good job. Can't you just give me a deal??"...

And unfortunately that does factor into the price of a cake; I am sure there are plenty of self taught people out there who do better work..in fact I know there are; but it cost me a small fortune to learn this trade, and that's a value added in my opinion. 

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 28 Jul 2014 , 9:30pm
post #32 of 43

I'm self-taught and proud of it.  That means that I was bitten by the cake-making bug and learned to make the beautiful cakes I saw on my own - no classes, no one to ask the millions of questions that came up with each one. 

This was before the internet took over the world, so getting information was difficult.  Trial and error was the order of the day.  There was no one to ask how many cups of batter a particular size pan would hold or what would happen to the recipe if I added a certain something.  I had to figure it out myself. I had to learn which piping tips produced what look and how to use them.  I was in heaven when I found my first set of fondant tools at Hobby Lobby and no longer had to use a pizza cutter and crochet hook.

That being said, I do consider myself a professional.  I had the baking part whipped in high school, so the decorating was the area where the steep learning curve came in.  But now, I can produce a beautiful cake that is going to be the hit of a wedding or a birthday party. I can discuss servings, flavors and decorations with the best of them.  However, I'm nowhere near where I want to be and if I ever forget that fact, I come here and look at all the gorgeous works of art produced by better decorators every day.  Whether they are self-taught or went to school for years makes no difference to me.  Good is good, and great is even better.

freesia777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
freesia777 Posted 2 Aug 2014 , 2:20am
post #33 of 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBalaska 

For some perhaps a lack of confidence, shyness, being almost apologetic; while still wanting to join in and be part of the conversation and comradeship.  Thinking that they do  not belong in such esteemed company.

The response I wrote to this last week got lost in cyberspace, so I'll try to recreate it.  It was my first post on CC, and I thought it was appropriate to respond, because if I hadn't read this, I probably would preface everything with "I'm only a newbie, but..."

For me, MBalaska hit the nail on the head.  Up until about eight months ago, my baking was limited to once-a-year cake mix birthday cakes for my family.  I now have a whopping six cakes under my belt that I have experimented with in terms of decorating or scratch baking.  There are a lot of bakers and decorators on this forum that are sooooo talented.  It can be intimidating to comment or respond, because I don't necessarily feel like I have the "proper" amount of experience -- even if I have sometimes experienced what is being discussed.

I look forward to becoming part of the Cake Central community.  Happy baking!

customcakesbysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
customcakesbysa Posted 2 Aug 2014 , 3:33am
post #34 of 43

AI have a doctorate in psychology - that was not self taught. Lots of time & money and instructors showing then watching my work. Baking & decorating for me are self taught. Every time I want to make a cake I go hunting - pouring through YouTube videos, online tutorials, sometimes making it up on my own. I am proud of my work, especially since I have a full-time job & 3 kids under 5. But I'm also pretty sheepish about posting here because of the level of skill. I often say I'm just starting out. Probably because I'm afraid I'll look foolish. Hell, I just learned what marzipan actually is last week, LOL.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 2 Aug 2014 , 5:52pm
post #35 of 43

Quote:

Originally Posted by customcakesbysa 

I have a doctorate in psychology - that was not self taught. Lots of time & money and instructors showing then watching my work. Baking & decorating for me are self taught. Every time I want to make a cake I go hunting - pouring through YouTube videos, online tutorials, sometimes making it up on my own. I am proud of my work, especially since I have a full-time job & 3 kids under 5. But I'm also pretty sheepish about posting here because of the level of skill. I often say I'm just starting out. Probably because I'm afraid I'll look foolish. Hell, I just learned what marzipan actually is last week, LOL.

But this is what @oftheeicing said. Nobody is really self-taught if you are ever shown how to do something by someone else. Everyone learns something from someone along the line, there's nothing wrong with that.

To me,  people who HARP on the self-taught thing are usually pretty obnoxious in general, regardless of the area of expertise they're referring to. It's one thing to have learned things by trial and error, but it's another to go around telling people you're self-taught all the time, it's unnecessary. So what, who cares.

customcakesbysa Posted 2 Aug 2014 , 5:56pm
post #36 of 43

A

Original message sent by costumeczar

To me,  people who HARP on the self-taught thing are usually pretty obnoxious in general, regardless of the area of expertise they're referring to.

I would agree with that as a general rule.

I was really just commenting the differing definitions of self taught.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 2 Aug 2014 , 6:13pm
post #37 of 43

harping is annoying whatever the subject

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 2 Aug 2014 , 6:31pm
post #38 of 43

AI find it obnoxious when people label other people obnoxious.

Signed,

Pot

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 2 Aug 2014 , 6:38pm
post #39 of 43

I don't understand what the fuss has been about. Now it's my turn to harp. I'd always thought that "self-taught" refers to how one is educated. Someone who learns on their own (books, videos, selecting individual classes without enrolling in a formal program) is self-taught. 

Full Definition of SELF-TAUGHT

:  having knowledge or skills acquired by one's own efforts without formal instruction <a self–taught musician>
:  learned by oneself <self–taught knowledge>

As with all threads on here, we really know how to ridicule a topic into submission.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 2 Aug 2014 , 7:14pm
post #40 of 43

............never having taken a class or met a single person that bakes & decorates, or makes candies, to the extent that I do...............

joining in with this forum has been the first productive-constructive real person contact and conversation that I've been able to enjoy.

I've purchased @AZCouture fabulous fondant tutorial from her facebook site.

I've purchased @costumeczar beautiful fondant molds and directions from her Etsy site.

I've purchased @MimiFix books for recipes and instructions through Amazon.

All of these great CC members created something that allowed me to self-learn in my kitchen at home to be a better baker-decorator.  Their teaching allowed me to self-teach myself at home.   I'm thankful for that.  So if I were to brag about it, and I probably have, It would be to promote your valuable contributions as much as my self-initiative and self-motivation to learn.

Thank you All

customcakesbysa Posted 2 Aug 2014 , 8:10pm
post #41 of 43

A

Original message sent by MBalaska

............never having taken a class or met a single person that bakes & decorates, or makes candies, to the [I]extent[/I] that I do............... joining in with this forum has been the first productive-constructive real person contact and conversation that I've been able to enjoy.

I've purchased @AZCouture fabulous fondant tutorial from her facebook site. I've purchased @costumeczar  beautiful fondant molds and directions from her Etsy site. I've purchased @MimiFix  books for recipes and instructions through Amazon.

All of these great CC members created something that allowed me to [B]self-learn[/B] in my kitchen at home to be a better baker-decorator.  Their teaching allowed me to [B]self-teach[/B] myself at home.   I'm thankful for that.  So if I were to brag about it, and I probably have, It would be to promote your valuable contributions as much as my self-initiative and self-motivation to learn.

[CENTER]

[COLOR=0000CD]Thank you All[/COLOR]

[/CENTER]

Very nicely said! I am grateful for the generosity of others shared knowledge & should say so more often.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 3 Aug 2014 , 12:58am
post #42 of 43

Quote:

Originally Posted by customcakesbysa 

I would agree with that as a general rule.

I was really just commenting the differing definitions of self taught.

Right...I don't know a lot of people who do cakes who really beat the "I'm self-taught" thing into the ground. I do know some people who claim to be self-taught singers or artists or whatever, but who watch a lot of youtube or get tips from people, then tell people they've never taken a lesson. That's just obnoxious because it doesn't give credit to the fact that nobody lives in a bubble. You generally learn something from everything unless you really want to pretend that you never have.

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 3 Aug 2014 , 12:15pm
post #43 of 43

I am not sure if your question also refers to the people who say 'I am not a professional, I am just a home baker etc etc' but in case this also leaves you wondering what is meant - I say it to let people know that although I am happy to offer my advice my experience is limited and that if someone who has a lot of experience/training comes along with completely different advice then the person seeking help should take the advice of the more experienced decorator.

After thinking about this I think it is in a way me telling the person that although I am offering advice from my personal experience I don't actually feel that I am good enough to be doing so, also it ensures that they are aware of my level of training (or lack thereof) and they can make up their own mind whether to take advice from an amateur or to seek advice elsewhere. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%