Creating 2D Elsa Character From Frozen

Decorating By deekelli Updated 22 Jul 2014 , 10:27am by deekelli

deekelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deekelli Posted 20 Jul 2014 , 10:17pm
post #1 of 8

AHi all,

I'm planning ahead for a Disney 'Frozen' cake I've got coming up. Have to say I love this theme, it's so pretty! Anyway I've found a few cakes with a 2D character of Elsa on the side that I really love. I can't figure out though what the character is made from... fondant? edible paper? I'm attaching some photos in the hope that you might be able to help me recreate something similar. I've never really made anything in a 2d style before so any help or tips would be very much appreciated! :)

Thanks x

[IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3266002/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

[IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3266003/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

7 replies
simplyme4469 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplyme4469 Posted 21 Jul 2014 , 12:51am
post #2 of 8

ANot sure about the top one. .. could be all fondant... could find an image and peice it together with a variety of colored fondant.... and draw her face on (image isn't very clear)

2nd... Her face looks like it is done with an edible printer.... her hair would be fondant? Unsure about her dress.... her hand looks like it is printed too from an image. Idk much about edible printers or images.... but i would think you could print the image you want and add layers of fondant as you want to make them pop out more. You could do as little or as much as you want. You could do as little... simply her hair. You could do as much... her hair and dress.

I could be wrong.... I am a hobby decorator :)

bikemom3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bikemom3 Posted 21 Jul 2014 , 1:24am
post #3 of 8

AI just did a version of the top cake this weekend. I printed the image out (several copies of the size needed) cut ot the image as a whole. Lightly dust back of paper w/cornstarch then use it as a template to cut your fondant. I use a 50/50 fondant gumpaste blend or fonadant with tylose added so it won't stretch so much. Then use your other paper copies to cut out other colors/ shapes. Think of it like a coloring book picture. Then add your thin layers of color to base piece using gum glue, water, vodka or whatever you prefer. [IMG ALT=""]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3266062/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

Hope this makes sense it really was not hard at all . If it doesn't PM me & I'll be glad to try & help

FrostedMoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostedMoon Posted 21 Jul 2014 , 1:49am
post #4 of 8

I think they are both edible images with fondant layers for the hair and dress.  I've done a few of these, but I cut layers of fondant to make the whole image.

Jesi Winter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jesi Winter Posted 21 Jul 2014 , 1:54am
post #5 of 8

ACakes by choppy has a tutorial for the head. [URL]

]

deekelli Posted 22 Jul 2014 , 10:20am
post #6 of 8

Thanks so much for all the help guys. Think i'll definitely be trying out the edible image with layers of fondant over it to build it out a bit. As usual, won't have much time to make everything from fondant from scratch. 

Again, thanks for the help, very much appreciated :) 

deekelli Posted 22 Jul 2014 , 10:25am
post #7 of 8

Wow - looks awesome FrostedMoon!. I'd be a very happy camper if I could repro something like that! 

deekelli Posted 22 Jul 2014 , 10:27am
post #8 of 8

Thanks so much for the detailed help. This is exactly the technique I was looking for, I just wasn't sure if there was a name for it or how to execute it exactly. I'll definitely give it a whirl. Looking forward to getting stuck in now... oh this damn cake decorating bug :D

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%