Fondant Football Topper

Decorating By tmwinborne Updated 21 Jul 2014 , 5:30am by KellyKSD

tmwinborne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmwinborne Posted 20 Jul 2014 , 4:31pm
post #1 of 4

A[IMG ALT=""]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3265832/width/350/height/700[/IMG] Can anyone give me any ideas on how to make this football topper. Thanks!

3 replies
KellyKSD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KellyKSD Posted 20 Jul 2014 , 6:09pm
post #2 of 4

Is it just a flat football shape? I'm trying to tell from the picture if it's 3-D or not.....doesn't look like it. If it's flat, I would do a piece of gumpaste or fondant cut in the football shape and left to dry for a good long time, with a skewer or straw (or a couple of them) in it to give you something to poke down into the cake for stability. Then color with luster or petal dust. As for the texture, I thought at first it looked like something you could get from an impression mat, but the bumps look a bit too "organized" in the lighter parts (the stripes and the laces) and there are three larger bumps on either side of the laces. If you zoom in, the lighter parts almost look like little pearls. So maybe these were placed on by hand (maybe attach to the fondant piece with royal icing?) and then colored over. Seems very labor intensive, but definitely a cool cake! 

tmwinborne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmwinborne Posted 20 Jul 2014 , 6:52pm
post #3 of 4

AThanks KellyKSD! I was thinking the same thing as you - flat football with colored pearls.

KellyKSD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KellyKSD Posted 21 Jul 2014 , 5:30am
post #4 of 4

Happy to help! Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%