How Much Should I Charge For A 9" Single Tier Full Fondant Super Mario Cake??

Business By Minileo Updated 22 Jul 2014 , 3:56pm by cai0311

Minileo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Minileo Posted 19 Jul 2014 , 4:31pm
post #1 of 9

Hi everyone

I am kind of new to the baking but I read a lot about the helpful information from this wonderful site.

I am making a 9" X 6" chocolate cake covered with fondant & fondant figurines.  I am having hard time pricing this cake. can some one help me. I have attached pictures for the reference. Thank you so much in advance.

Also if some one can help me pricing cupcakes like the ones in the picture. Thank you again.

8 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 19 Jul 2014 , 4:59pm
post #2 of 9

across the u.s. fondant cakes go for about $4 - $7 a serving base price -- figurines are anywhere from $10 on up and some require copyright privileges granted -- cupcakes start in some places as low as $1 and could go as high as $5 or more --

i'm curious did you make these cakes in the photos?

Minileo Posted 19 Jul 2014 , 5:24pm
post #3 of 9

K8memphis:  No i did not make these cakes ( these cupcakes are made by me though) but I am planning on replicate these. I got this order last nyt and so far I have made super mario. Since that was the main challenging part for me as I am new to fondant. I am attaching the picture of a cake which I baked on my son's 3rd bday (For free :D)

On second note our local gourmet bakery charges $2.99 for regular cupcake & up depending on kind of decoration. For regular 8" chocolate cake they charge $48. Since I am new to this I know I can not afford charging like them but I don't want to get underpaid as well. So I wanted to know how much should I charge for these kinds of cakes & cupcakes. Can you also help me pricing for this "Thomas cake" it's a Chocolate cake with fruit filing and coffee flavored butter cream ??

Minileo Posted 19 Jul 2014 , 7:57pm
post #4 of 9

One more question how do I get licence for copyright characters if I want one ?? I thought if I am home based cake baker I don't need any licence to do character cakes :(. Does that mean whoever has put character cake pics on Google images/flickr has licence to make these, even to those who has blogs or tutorials on character cakes ?? Help me I am frustrated now :cry: 

FioreCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FioreCakes Posted 19 Jul 2014 , 8:11pm
post #5 of 9

Please use the search bar to answer all your questions about pricing, licensing and copyright. How can you have a customer if you have no idea how to price something?

-K8memphis Posted 19 Jul 2014 , 8:24pm
post #6 of 9

you already have a good handle on pricing in your area --

you don't need a license to do character cakes you need permission from the legal department of whoever owns the copyright -- i can't answer for others who post pictures --

best to you

Minileo Posted 19 Jul 2014 , 8:28pm
post #7 of 9

K8memphis: Thank you so much for the information. I was reading on cake central from hours to get a proper answer. You made me a happy :) baker again !!

-K8memphis Posted 19 Jul 2014 , 8:33pm
post #8 of 9

i did a search on the word 'copyright' and the first article that came up would answer your question and the second... you still have to get permission to do it  legally/morally

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 22 Jul 2014 , 3:56pm
post #9 of 9

AI did a Mario Kart cake for a woman last week. If I remember I can upload a pic when I get home tonight.

The cake was a Mario Kart theme. But Mario himself was a toy the client purchased. That is the easiest way to do character themed cakes.

I have contacted a couple sports teams to get premission to use their logo/mascot and every one has given it to me. So it is possible.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%