Mmf Recipe For Humid Climate?

Baking By annakat444 Updated 22 Jul 2014 , 6:10pm by ropalma

annakat444 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annakat444 Posted 19 Jul 2014 , 1:02am
post #1 of 7

Hi all, I'm looking for a MMF recipe that'll work well in a really humid climate (Mississippi)...there are so many out there and I need one that I know will work. I've tried some in the past using just light corn syrup and some shortening and it did not turn out well, so I've been buying my fondant - it's just too expensive for me to continue buying since I'm just a hobby baker! Would love to try a recipe that works for some of you! Thank you!

6 replies
Lfredden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lfredden Posted 19 Jul 2014 , 2:22am
post #2 of 7

AI've never tried it in humid climate, but I think it will work. Look up Elizabeth Mareks MMF recipe. It's really good.

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 19 Jul 2014 , 5:51am
post #3 of 7

AMmf straight won't work in humidity I'm afraid. I live on the Texas gulf coast and I finally had to let it go, at least for the summer. You could try lmf like mentioned above. You almost have to mix mmf with something to make it work

annakat444 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annakat444 Posted 19 Jul 2014 , 6:10am
post #4 of 7

AThat stinks, but thanks for the info. It's so frustrating!! I'll try the recipe suggested above. Thanks again!

Camlisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Camlisa Posted 22 Jul 2014 , 12:19pm
post #5 of 7

AHey! I live in Cambodia where we have ridiculous humidity and heat all the time, and I only use MMF! And an air conditioner! Mostly because I can't get anything else, Lol. It can be a bit hard to work with at times, but I've always been able to make it work. I just use marshmallows with a few T of water and melt in the microwave, then add powdered sugar till I get the right consistency.

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 22 Jul 2014 , 2:26pm
post #6 of 7

ADoes the humidity not prevent your mmf from setting properly? Here in Texas in the summer, when I put it on the cake it will never "set". It's hard making things like bows with it two.

ropalma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ropalma Posted 22 Jul 2014 , 6:10pm
post #7 of 7

To make bows and decorations you need to add Tylose or Wilton Gum-Tex to the fondant.  This will dry the fondant and stiffen it.  I live in Florida which is hot and humid and MMF works.  I have though changed to Ganache under my fondant.  This will give a more stable base and less melting under the fondant than BC.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%