Bird's Nest

Decorating By pj22 Updated 19 Jul 2014 , 1:12am by gscout73

pj22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pj22 Posted 18 Jul 2014 , 4:16pm
post #1 of 7

Hi! 

How would you make a nest like this picture? It seems like pretzels with chocolate, but how do you get the shape and make it stay on top of the cake? Thanks so much!!

6 replies
gaylevelazquez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gaylevelazquez Posted 18 Jul 2014 , 4:26pm
post #2 of 7

I've made something pretty similar, instead with chow mein noodles and it turned out very tasty!

See here: 

I would think you would be able to make it in a bigger size, and then refrigerate until firm.  Stick it on the top of the cake, and voila!

pj22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pj22 Posted 18 Jul 2014 , 4:34pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks! Appreciate that! So a bigger nest will also probably stay fine on wax paper, or maybe I should use a greased bowl or something? 

gaylevelazquez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gaylevelazquez Posted 18 Jul 2014 , 5:06pm
post #4 of 7

I would think the wax paper would be ok - that would give you a flat bottom. If you used a bowl, you would get more of a rounded bottom. So I guess it depends on the look you are going for. In this picture, it kinda looks like it has a flat bottom (kinda hard to tell from the angle)

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 18 Jul 2014 , 10:59pm
post #5 of 7

that definitely looks like chow mein noodles.

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 18 Jul 2014 , 11:08pm
post #6 of 7

When I was much younger, chow mein noodles bound into clusters with the melted "Toll House morsels" of your choice (not being a chocolate eater, I opted for butterscotch) were a popular homemade confection. Haven't seen them in years.

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 19 Jul 2014 , 1:12am
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbquikcomjamesl 

When I was much younger, chow mein noodles bound into clusters with the melted "Toll House morsels" of your choice (not being a chocolate eater, I opted for butterscotch) were a popular homemade confection. Haven't seen them in years.

OMG! I made those for a pot luck for my office about 10 years ago. I shaped them so I could put a couple of Jelly Belly jelly beans and they looked like little nests. The chocolate coating on the noodles kept them crisp and they were soooo good. Messy to make, but so yummy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%