Metallic Gold Airbrush Color And Royal Icing?!

Decorating By TheNerdyBaker Updated 18 Jul 2014 , 11:28pm by -K8memphis

TheNerdyBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheNerdyBaker Posted 18 Jul 2014 , 8:54am
post #1 of 8

So lately I have been trying to unlock the age of mystery of piping in metallic colors, and I have found 4-5 various techniques.

Granted, I don't have any of the stuff on hand to try out the things I have been reading, so I don't know how they compare to each other, or even if they work.

Most of the articles were dated from around 2009, and since then we have had a baking breakthrough in the form of the Amerigel Gold Sheen Airbrush Color.

So I was just curious if anyone has tried coloring things with the color, as opposed to using it strictly in the airbrush.  I would imagine that mixing it in to a super stiff RI would get me to a nice pipeable consistency after incorporating a decent amount of the stuff.

Any thoughts?

7 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 18 Jul 2014 , 11:05am
post #2 of 8

ANo idk never used that product I don't think but I just wanted to mention that there are recipes to make piping gel online and the formula in nick lodge's international school of sugar craft book 3 page 187 uses pg to make a great product-- do you have that recipe?

it's 2 t. powd sugar and 2 t. metallic dust, clear alcohol to adjust consistency into 1 teaspoon piping gel -- works great -- stores in fridge indefinitely

it pipes beautiful and brilliant

TheNerdyBaker Posted 18 Jul 2014 , 11:27am
post #3 of 8

Yea, I saw that one and it was one I was definitely going to try.

I just see that one being a tad cost prohibitive because of the insane amount of luster dust needed per small batch.

If it does the job though, who am I to complain?!

-K8memphis Posted 18 Jul 2014 , 11:56am
post #4 of 8

Aa little goes a long way--he advises to use a 0 tube with it -- it is so pretty -- but yes you need to shell out for the dust -- i made it a jar of dust at a time -- 

i mean you wouldn't be using it say for example shell borders -- you would pipe the shell border in BC then overpipe in this -- it is pricey it's an accent and it's awesome -- i wanna go make some ;)

and if you were going to cover an entire area it would brush on but that's when you'd change gears and whip out the airbrush --

brush embroidery with it would be awesome

edited to say -- it does not get lost in the shuffle

TheNerdyBaker Posted 18 Jul 2014 , 8:14pm
post #5 of 8

Do you have any pictures in your gallery of this stuff on a cake?

-K8memphis Posted 18 Jul 2014 , 8:21pm
post #6 of 8

no sorry -- i did this work for my employer -- 

TheNerdyBaker Posted 18 Jul 2014 , 10:33pm
post #7 of 8

I'm mixing up a batch of metallic gold piping goo right now!

Ill post pictures of the results here soon!

-K8memphis Posted 18 Jul 2014 , 11:28pm
post #8 of 8

oh cool!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%