Rolling Pins And Equipment - Rsi

Business By CakeMBsurprise Updated 17 Jul 2014 , 4:55pm by ellavanilla

CakeMBsurprise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMBsurprise Posted 17 Jul 2014 , 9:14am
post #1 of 3

I use the Little Venice company non stick rolling pin. ( UK users may be a bit more familiar with this) and i find it hurts my hands, bringing me up in a heat rash on my wrist and hands when Im working on big sheets of rolled fondant. Its not easy to use when rolling out fondant because ultimately you are doing all the work because it has no handles. 

What rolling pins do you guys recommend out there?

2 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 17 Jul 2014 , 2:56pm
post #2 of 3

i have a big silicone covered one that has ball bearings and i have my mom's old wooden nostalgic favorite pin that rolls like butter -- but i heartily recommend anything with ball bearings and handles for fondant -- i hate french pins -- for cookies i have a long straight edged pin --

i used to use a stubby marble weighty pin w/ball bearings and before i used it at a new job i was concerned about it being so heavy and short but it was very nice to use -- the weight is your friend with rolling fondant --

and just for good measure i'll toss out that when i roll fondant i stand on a step so all i have to do is lean over and just my upper body weight does most of the work-- along with the magic ball bearings ;)

best to you

ellavanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellavanilla Posted 17 Jul 2014 , 4:55pm
post #3 of 3

I have a long maple pin that is the same thickness all the way. Of course, being wood, it can get dings in it, but I am very careful about that. 

I don't care for the one that I have with handles, because the handles dip down when I apply a lot of pressure and that's no good!

I have seen people use PVC pipe. It has no weight, at all, but might be non allergenic. 

jen

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%