Stressed! Over Thinking Square Cake! & Recipe Questions.

Decorating By sweetobsesions Updated 18 Jul 2014 , 4:07am by sweetobsesions

sweetobsesions Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetobsesions Posted 17 Jul 2014 , 6:33am
post #1 of 8

Okay so I just found out I am making a square wedding cake in less than 2 weeks & I'm kinda freaking out! I have never made a square cake with fondant before. I live in CA & traveling to NY to make it. So I have a few questions that have been asked a million times but the more I look at everything the more stressed I get.

* Best buttercream to use under fondant? Crusting or non crusting? Recipes?

* I think I'm going to just buy fondant, I made it in culinary school just fine but for some reason when I try it at home it doesn't turn out right. Unless anyone has a really easy recipe I can try before I make it.

* For stacking the 3 tiers is cardboard under each layer and 1 wooden dowel in each corner okay?

* I'm terrible at torting cake so I guess I will just make thin layers?

* I'm also making gumpaste orchid flowers but I have to make them tomorrow so is it best to just buy gumpaste?

ANY HELP & TIPS IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!! Especially for square cakes.

Thanks again!! :oops: 

7 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 17 Jul 2014 , 3:09pm
post #2 of 8

wow -- kinda hitting fast huh --

best icing  under fondant is the one you like and are most familiar with -- i usually use smbc

it's too late to test fondant recipes -- just buy something in ny like you said -- 

if you use skinny dowel, i'd use more than 4, if your dowel are fatter and can almost stand on their own you can get away with four for holding the top tier-- but it's perfectly ok to make the cake (and yourself) secure and use 5 or 6 per larger tier -- if one of the four dowel shifts the cake is gonna lean -- if one of 5-6 dowel shifts the others will maintain things --

nothing wrong with thin layers in lieu of torting --

i've never used ready to roll gumpaste -- so idk -- if you're in a time crunch i guess so huh -- i often use the kind you add water to but you usually want to let it rest overnight to activate all the properties -- so there's that anyhow--

you'll do fine -- take it one step at a time -- ask all the question you want -- you're already in crunch time-- if you need back up -- ask away!

Sammy09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sammy09 Posted 17 Jul 2014 , 4:58pm
post #3 of 8

AThere's a couple good classes on that by collette Peters on Craftsy.

ladyellam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyellam Posted 17 Jul 2014 , 5:33pm
post #4 of 8

AIf it was me, I would use ganache instead of buttercream. I've found it works better for the sharp, clean edges on square cakes IMHO. K8Memphis gave some great tips!

sweetobsesions Posted 17 Jul 2014 , 10:23pm
post #5 of 8

AOkay this helps a lot guys thank you so much. They requested the buttercream & not ganache but next time I will definitely try the ganache. As far as the dowels go I think I'll try to get the thicker plastic ones I'm not sure what I'll be able to get there & definitely use 5 or 6. I just bought the gumpaste to make the flowers :) Not sure about the fondant, I'm going to try the MMF recipe from wilton tonight. I'd like to just buy it but the groom is buying all the stuff when I get there so I don't want him to see me buying fondant if I can help it. Thanks again!

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 18 Jul 2014 , 12:41am
post #6 of 8

If you are going to have a go at making fondant yourself have a look at the recipe by costumeczar on this link http://cakecentral.com/t/775913/ready-made-fondant-vs-homemade I have made it a few times now and compared to marshmallow fondant I find it to be super easy and much more workable. Good Luck.

oftheeicing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oftheeicing Posted 18 Jul 2014 , 3:39am
post #7 of 8

AI personally have used store bought fondant (Wilton, Duff's and Satin Ice), as well as five different recipes of homemade fondant. There is a marshmallow fondant recipe on Craftsy that contains Corn syrup, that I have found to perform better than anything that I have ever used. I generally make it 2-3 days in advance of using it and absolutely love the taste as well. Good luck to you!

sweetobsesions Posted 18 Jul 2014 , 4:07am
post #8 of 8

ASo many options! I love it! Just got to pick one for this cake coming up or just buy it but after that I'm going to make so many cakes trying different things! Hahah Seriously thank you all so much.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%