First Wedding Cake - Please... Help!

Decorating By k1mber1ndarella Updated 16 Jul 2014 , 11:21pm by -K8memphis

k1mber1ndarella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
k1mber1ndarella Posted 16 Jul 2014 , 8:38pm
post #1 of 5

. Have made stacked cakes before, but nothing as high as 4 tiers before 8O...I'm making a wedding cake for my brother and soon to be sister in laws wedding for August 30th, and her wedding colors are coral and teal. In looking online for ideas she fell in love with this cake (made by SugablossomCakes

Am planning on a vanilla cake with raspberry filling. Was thinking of using SMBC and covering in fondant to try to get this look,but didn't know if it would be too soft to support a 4 tier cake. and due to the heat if i should go with regular buttercream.

Since I have never made a wedding cake before, how would I go about stacking it?

Am guessing dowels were used to stack this cake along with the cake board?

Would i cover the cake in a layer of fondant before attaching the petal ruffles?

Does anyone know what colors to use to get these colors?

Can someone tell me how to make the individual petal ruffles?

Any raspberry filling and vanilla cake recipes would be helpful as well

If you made it this far, any help is appreciated :)

4 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 16 Jul 2014 , 10:06pm
post #2 of 5

i would use styro foam to make the peach colored separations and it looks like they are covered with ribbon or cloth --

yes boards and dowel or sps -- many thanks to chef leah s http://media.cakecentral.com/files/sps_104.pdf

i usually mix my colors-- i bet you can outright purchase those colors from the cake store-- i'd buy a dark coral or terra cotta color dust to brush the insides of the flowers --

i can't remember doing a cake like that with the fondant ruffles all over--but i would just attach them to the smbc--

i want to caution you that this is a higher degree of difficulty cake because you have nothing holding up the ruffles-- they are just hanging out around each tier -- so there's that --

just cut circles or blossoms out of the fondant (can't see that well) and squish them up in the middle and stick them on --

an idea for you is to make the bottom board a slight bit bigger than the cake so while it's still flush there's also a ledge for the ruffles to rest on a little -- 

you need to make one of these in advance so you know what you're up against -- all the way through boxing and transporting -- ride around in the car with it -- it's a ton of work-- you're gonna have things come up you never thought of -- you can freely come & ask before it gets crucial --

when you decide which cutter to use (round or blossom)  roll out the fondant and cut out a ton of them-- toss them in a bowl with a tight fitting lid and keep the lid on unless you are sliding them out, squishing and attaching-- work quickly --

how many servings?

-K8memphis Posted 16 Jul 2014 , 10:15pm
post #3 of 5

fruit filling really ramps up the degree of difficulty because it has to stay refrigerated unless you use sleeve filling which you just buy at the cake deco store -- but it's squishy and you really don't need the extra stress -- just judging by the list of questions you've asked -- 

good scratch vanilla cake is one of the hardest to accomplish -- maybe you will just do great with it but many people struggle with making vanilla aka white cake -- what about pound cake is that a possibility? it's quite a bit easier --

geez all you need to tell me now is it's gonna be at outdoor reception :-D

k1mber1ndarella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
k1mber1ndarella Posted 16 Jul 2014 , 11:09pm
post #4 of 5

AIt actually is going to be an outdoor reception. Lol. Might be an issue when it comes to having a fruit filling. Thank you for all your helpful advice.

-K8memphis Posted 16 Jul 2014 , 11:21pm
post #5 of 5

you're welcome -- it's not just the raspberries, butter melts just north of 90 degrees -- it would be a good idea for her to pick out a different design for you-- this involves a great deal of expertise  -- add in the fickleness of the weather -- just say no --

i'd recommend fondant covered, no perishable fillings, stacked -- or

or do this in a dummy cake and bake off sheet cakes all stuffed with raspberries and whipped cream that could be held properly then served --

best to you

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%