Bakery Style Birthday Cake From The 90's

Baking By monro84

monro84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monro84 Posted 16 Jul 2014 , 2:44pm
post #1 of 1

sorry I did 2 post but I thought the first one did go through? But I added more to this one

Anyone remember their birthday's in the 90's that had the white sheet cake with the piping and thick sweet icing and icing flowers on it? I am trying to find what the Icing was called or a recipe for it. There was a bakery in the MS delta that my mom got all my b day cakes from. They were so good. It closed down a few years ago a few yrs after the owner passed away.However I talked to the owners daughter and asked her what kind of icing was it butter cream, 7 minute or some other type. She said that I  soften and beat real butter, add powdered sugar to taste, a splash of vanilla and a splash of water or milk to get an icing that tastes very close to it. She said there was another secret ingredient but she could not tell me (of course I would never ask her to). I have looked everywhere and all I come up with those ingredients are buttercream. Do any of y'all have any idea on what Icing I am talking about? 

sorry I did 2 post but I thought the first one did go through?

oh and btw I tried the recipe for white cake last night and it turned out AMAZING and taste just like the birthday white cake i have been trying to find  http://sweetapolita.com/2012/06/how-to-make-a-perfectly-delightful-vanilla-birthday-cake/ .

However still looking for the icing I did not try hers but I am going to tonight.. But I did find a recipe for old fashion vanilla icing http://www.homemade-dessert-recipes.com/icing-recipes.html.. 

Easy Vanilla Icing

3 tablespoons butter, 1-1/2 cups icing sugar, 1-1/2 tablespoons milk, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla; beat. Note: Add enough confectioner's sugar to make of right consistency to spread.

This on top of the cake is very close to what I am talking about and from what I read it's not a buttercream recipe. I might actually use this. But is there any way to make the vanilla taste more natural cause it still taste fake. I used pure vanilla extract from mccormik I think.  

0 replies

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%