Cloloring Icing

Decorating By caz1988 Updated 27 Jul 2014 , 5:11pm by freesia777

caz1988 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caz1988 Posted 14 Jul 2014 , 7:08pm
post #1 of 2

Hi

I'm quite new to decorating cakes (properly anyway) i have done a few cakes with ready to roll icing but i have always bought the already rolled icing to cover the cake but i have been asked to make a cake for my niece and nephew's birthday and im going a step further to what iv done before. For my niece i need different shades of pink but only small amounts can anyone advise how i would make a light pink into a darker pink or the other way round if its easier? 

Also does anyone know what size cake a 250g pack of renshaw's fondant will cover?

Thanks in advance

Caz

1 reply
freesia777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
freesia777 Posted 27 Jul 2014 , 5:08pm
post #2 of 2

A[LEFT][/LEFT]I'm sure it can be done both ways, but I prefer to go from lighter to darker. Start with a big batch of buttercream, add a little color to the whole amount, use what you need, and then add more color. Do this each time. I use Americolor gel paste, so adding by drops (rather than toothpicks) works well for me. Depending on the volume of buttercream you have, even one drop can make a difference.

Sorry I don't anything about the fondant though. :sad: Maybe someone else will be able to help you with that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%