Bitter Tasting Heavy Cream?

Business By es329 Updated 10 Jul 2014 , 3:09am by es329

es329 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
es329 Posted 8 Jul 2014 , 8:14am
post #1 of 13

AHas anyone ever gotten heavy cream that tasted bitter? Is it bad, even if it still smells and looks fine?

12 replies
AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 8 Jul 2014 , 8:16am
post #2 of 13

AI'm not in the habit of using a food product of any kind that obviously tastes off.

Natka81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Natka81 Posted 8 Jul 2014 , 10:31am
post #3 of 13

It is probably gone bad even if it smells ok.

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 8 Jul 2014 , 2:02pm
post #4 of 13

The taste of milk products can be affected by what the cow eats.  When I was a very little kid,  my mother's cousin's cow munched on the onion tops in her garden.  The milk was unusable. This may have been what happened.  Since current milking practice has the milk going straight from the cow to the tank through plastic hoses, no one would notice that here was a problem unless someone tasted it at the dairy.

es329 Posted 8 Jul 2014 , 2:08pm
post #5 of 13

A

Original message sent by AZCouture

I'm not in the habit of using a food product of any kind that obviously tastes off.

It wasn't obvious. It was dated August, smelled and looked fine. It wasn't until after it was mixed and I tasted it (because plain cream doesn't taste good to me anyway), that I noticed a bitter taste in some of the bites.

es329 Posted 8 Jul 2014 , 2:10pm
post #6 of 13

A

Original message sent by Narie

The taste of milk products can be affected by what the cow eats.  When I was a very little kid,  my mother's cousin's cow munched on the onion tops in her garden.  The milk was unusable. This may have been what happened.  Since current milking practice has the milk going straight from the cow to the tank through plastic hoses, no one would notice that here was a problem unless someone tasted it at the dairy.

I was thinking it might be some kind of additive that they put in since it was a different brand than what I normally use. But then I got to wondering if maybe it was bad.

Natka81 Posted 8 Jul 2014 , 2:32pm
post #7 of 13

I work with heavy whipping cream every week. I just tasted mine out of fridge, it did not have any bitter taste. I would not use it if the taste was off.

I shop ones a month for my business. Once it was bad butter the smell was really off, another time I purchased bulk walnuts and the taste was not fresh, I could not use them, another time it was eggs some of them weren`t good, cheese had mold on it and the due date on all this ingrediens was month ahead.

I never had bitter taste of heavy whipping cream. Maybe it stayed out at room temp. for 2-3 hours, while you were working on cake?

What did you mixed it with?

es329 Posted 8 Jul 2014 , 3:14pm
post #8 of 13

A

Original message sent by Natka81

I work with heavy whipping cream every week. I just tasted mine out of fridge, it did not have any bitter taste. I would not use it if the taste was off. I shop ones a month for my business. Once it was bad butter the smell was really off, another time I purchased bulk walnuts and the taste was not fresh, I could not use them, another time it was eggs some of them weren`t good, cheese had mold on it and the due date on all this ingrediens was month ahead. I never had bitter taste of heavy whipping cream. Maybe it stayed out at room temp. for 2-3 hours, while you were working on cake?  What did you mixed it with?

I've never had a bitter tasting heavy cream either. I usually get mine out right before I whip it up so it'll be really cold. I mixed it with powdered sugar. I think it was either a bad batch or something went wrong at the store.

Natka81 Posted 8 Jul 2014 , 3:19pm
post #9 of 13

Maybe bad from the store.

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 9 Jul 2014 , 1:52pm
post #10 of 13

Check this article.  Most of the problems with off taste is with the cows feed or the storage of raw milk. The fact that the off taste was with a different brand indicates that the problem was more than likely either with the farms that dairy buys its milk from or the storage practices at either the farm or the dairy.

http://extension.psu.edu/animals/dairy/nutrition/nutrition-and-feeding/troubleshooting-guides/troubleshooting-milk-flavor-problems

Rohini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rohini Posted 9 Jul 2014 , 2:21pm
post #11 of 13

Hello!

Yes, I have...and it usually means over here that it's starting to go bad! It can smell absolutely fine and the best before date may have not expired but if it tastes bitter or sour then it should not be consumed.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 9 Jul 2014 , 6:53pm
post #12 of 13

Quote:

Originally Posted by es329 

Has anyone ever gotten heavy cream that tasted bitter? Is it bad, even if it still smells and looks fine?

es329 I wouldn't put anything in my recipes that looked, smelled, or tasted bad.  It would go in the trash and I'd go shopping if I had to.  (and I'm 10 miles from town.)

Using fresh quality delicious ingredients is part of the advantage in home baking.  You know and you control exactly what goes into your creations.

es329 Posted 10 Jul 2014 , 3:09am
post #13 of 13

A

Original message sent by MBalaska

[B]es329[/B] I wouldn't put [U]anything[/U] in my recipes [B]that looked, smelled, or tasted bad. [/B] It would go in the trash and I'd go shopping if I had to.  (and I'm 10 miles from town.)

Using fresh quality delicious ingredients is part of the advantage in home baking.  You know and you control exactly what goes into your creations.

I didn't. I made the whipped cream and tasted it and that's when I noticed the bitter taste.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%