Lace Impression On Fondant? Help!

Decorating By JulieM Updated 7 Jul 2014 , 2:52am by lanawith

JulieM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieM Posted 7 Jul 2014 , 2:18am
post #1 of 2

I need to create a wedding cake covered with fondant that has a lace impression on it.  I have seen impression mats (and have used small ones)  but the bride wants an impression that covers the entire area.  I thought I would be able to find one large mat (large enough for a 12" bottom tier) or a rolling pin, but none of them have that classic lace style.  (flowers, leaves, on a delicate lace background).  I see swirls, baroque, and filigree patterns and even fleur de lis patterns but none of them are the patterns of classic lace.

I also have these concerns:

A large mat or rolling pin would require the impression be put on the fondant BEFORE I place it on the cake.  The stretching that comes as I smooth the fondant may distort the image of the lace.  But I guess that is just something I have to be careful of and 'go with it'?

Also, small impression mats that I would line up and smooth onto an already fondant covered cake might leave edge marks and lines where the plastic or silicone end.

Does anyone have a suggestion or help for me?  Where can I find the tools to put a lace pattern over the entire surface of the fondant?  What is the best way to do this?

Thank you in advance for your help!

1 reply
lanawith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lanawith Posted 7 Jul 2014 , 2:52am
post #2 of 2

AIf you're embossing the fondant, I would cover your cake in fondant, smooth it to your liking then emboss/press the impression onto the fondant covered cake. I wouldn't worry too much about lining up 100%, most lace patterns are so random that the overall apearance sould still look good.

If you have a picture of what you're trying to do, post it so that we can better help you :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%