Baking In A Pyrex Bowl

Decorating By sweetlinxo Updated 6 Jul 2014 , 8:46pm by sweetlinxo

sweetlinxo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetlinxo Posted 4 Jul 2014 , 4:40am
post #1 of 12

ASo yesterday I baked a cake in a 9" pyrex bowl, I lowered my oven temperature to 315* and put a flower nail in, and baked for about 55 minutes, the inside of the cake turned out fine, but unfortunately the flat part of the cake was hard like a rock. Could I please get some suggestions on how to prevent this from happening again? And I also forgot to mention that I had baked it with a 8" round next to it, would it have been best if I had just baked it by itself? Thank you in advance!:)

11 replies
rachelpinkshoes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rachelpinkshoes Posted 4 Jul 2014 , 6:59am
post #2 of 12

AI have baked a pregnant tummy cake in bigger bowl and covered top of cake with tinfoil half way through, cake great.

sweetlinxo Posted 4 Jul 2014 , 8:09am
post #3 of 12

A

Original message sent by rachelpinkshoes

I have baked a pregnant tummy cake in bigger bowl and covered top of cake with tinfoil half way through, cake great.

That's awesome! I'm gonna be making a pregnant belly soon, I'm really excited:) if you don't mind me asking what size bowl did you use? Also how long did you bake for at what temperature? Thank you:)

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 4 Jul 2014 , 6:11pm
post #4 of 12

You guys really make me realize how old (ancient) that I am !!:roll:

Most of the home made cakes that I saw in my youth were baked in rectangular pyrex glass baking pans,  The same pans that casseroles were baked in.  The baking temperatures were lowered about 25 degrees much less than metal pans, and sometimes a piece of foil was laid over the top to prevent over cooking the top.

vldutoit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vldutoit Posted 4 Jul 2014 , 7:54pm
post #5 of 12

AAnd they were iced in those Pyrex pans too

rachelpinkshoes Posted 4 Jul 2014 , 8:06pm
post #6 of 12

AMy pyrex boml was 4L and I shopped around looking for large soup bowls for chest two of them, doubled my cake recipe, 2/3 full, 160 temp , baking strips around bowl. Took about 2 1/2 hours to cook, but worked first time and perfect shape. In fact mother to be did not want to cut cake!!!

sweetlinxo Posted 5 Jul 2014 , 8:25pm
post #7 of 12

A

My pyrex boml was 4L and I shopped around looking for large soup bowls for chest two of them, doubled my cake recipe, 2/3 full, 160 temp , baking strips around bowl. Took about 2 1/2 hours to cook, but worked first time and perfect shape. In fact mother to be did not want to cut cake!!!

Wow I bet it looked really cool! I would love to see what it looked like. I've been wanting to make one for a while so that's how come I did a test run in my pyrex the other day, I ended up making a 3d pig though lol. I'll let you know how mines turn out! Thanks again! :)

sweetlinxo Posted 5 Jul 2014 , 8:29pm
post #8 of 12

A

Original message sent by MBalaska

You guys really make me realize how old (ancient) that I am !!:roll:

Most of the home made cakes that I saw in my youth were baked in rectangular pyrex glass baking pans,  The same pans that casseroles were baked in.  The baking temperatures were lowered about 25 degrees much less than metal pans, and sometimes a piece of foil was laid over the top to prevent over cooking the top.

Lol I usually bake in my pyrex recs too, but never have I ever in my bowls, I'm just really glad I don't have to buy a ball pan, I already have too many pans taking up my storage space! Lol

rachelpinkshoes Posted 5 Jul 2014 , 9:40pm
post #9 of 12

A[IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3258919/width/200/height/400[/IMG] I will soon find out if this works techno dummy, belly button looks way bigger in photo!

sweetlinxo Posted 6 Jul 2014 , 6:39pm
post #10 of 12

A

[IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3258919/width/200/height/400[/IMG] I will soon find out if this works techno dummy, belly button looks way bigger in photo!

That is so cute! I love how you gave the bottom a flowy look, I wanna make mine a descent size as well, I've seen a lot of belly cakes and they were really pretty but so teeny! Lol. Btw how'd you get the baking strips to wrap around the bowl? I couldn't for the life of me,

rachelpinkshoes Posted 6 Jul 2014 , 8:05pm
post #11 of 12

ADon't know if its the right thing to do but I used metal paperclips

sweetlinxo Posted 6 Jul 2014 , 8:46pm
post #12 of 12

ASounds good to me...thanks a lot! :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%