Cream Cheese Frosting

Decorating By blittle6 Updated 21 Sep 2005 , 2:23pm by blittle6

blittle6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blittle6 Posted 20 Sep 2005 , 10:52pm
post #1 of 8

Hi,

I have made several different recipes for cream cheese frosting including the crusting recipe. I still have problems with it falling off the cake. Does any1 have any tips on how to prevent this. I have 2 dome shaped cakes due this weekend that need cream cheese frosting. I don't want the icing sliding off. Please help!

Berta

7 replies
bubblezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubblezmom Posted 21 Sep 2005 , 3:20am
post #2 of 8

Have you tried crumb coating with a regular buttercream or using an apricot glaze? Sorry, I've never had the frosting slide off. hope this helps.

blittle6 Posted 21 Sep 2005 , 12:23pm
post #3 of 8

I always do a crumb coating. The frosting stays somewhat on the cake, but before I know it the bottom of the cake looks thicker and towards the top it looks thinner. I hope that makes sense. Maybe if I added more powdered sugar? IDK??

Berta

IHATEFONDANT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IHATEFONDANT Posted 21 Sep 2005 , 12:44pm
post #4 of 8

Maybe the icing is too thin??

I've never had icing slide off of a cake....unless it was on the end of my finger headed for my mouth..... icon_rolleyes.gif

blittle6 Posted 21 Sep 2005 , 1:15pm
post #5 of 8

This is the only icing I have that problem with so obviously something I am doing wrong. It goes on fine and looks good, but about 1 hour later, it does what I describe above....the room is cool, so I'm sure it is not melting. Maybe I will try adding more powdered sugar to it, or someone suggested just adding a brick of cream cheese to my regular buttercream. I just don't know if I would substitute it for some of the butter or shortening in the recipe or just toss in additional sugar.

Berta

Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 21 Sep 2005 , 1:30pm
post #6 of 8

Your icing is probably too thin. If it feels too loose when you are mixing it you can add extra powdered sugar. Also try to limit the amount of liquid you put in (like flavorings) only use a teaspoon or so. I also try to immediately refrigerate my cake as soon as it is frosted. I will let the icing set for a bit and then do any decorating.

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 21 Sep 2005 , 1:33pm
post #7 of 8

Hey Blittle! You are not alone in your problems with cream cheese icing! I made my boyfriend's birthday cake on the 12th and used the crusting cream cheese recipe. It kept sliding down the cake. I did a crumb coat with regular buttercream. That didn't help. I tried adding more powdered sugar....that made it worse! I don't know what the problem is, but I would definitely be interested in finding a solution. I'll be keeping an eye on this post to see if anyone comes up with an idea.

blittle6 Posted 21 Sep 2005 , 2:23pm
post #8 of 8

I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem. my customer would like to display the cakes at a table so I don't want to have the icing slowly going down until they eat the cake! I'm sure in the fridge it would be fine but once its out icon_sad.gif .

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%