Piping Lettering?

Decorating By vicky764 Updated 3 Jul 2014 , 6:28am by Unlimited

vicky764 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vicky764 Posted 2 Jul 2014 , 1:49pm
post #1 of 10

ASorry! Yet another question from me.

Had the worst morning trying to cover a 12 inch square cake, took 5 attempts and still doesn't look great :( I coloured the fondant so not sure if this dried it out a bit.

I have decorated most of it so it's looks a lot better but I need to pipe lettering. What's best to use? Buttercream or royal icing?

Bet this bit goes wrong too. This has definitely been the most challenging cake I've made and I feel exhausted lol

9 replies
MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 2 Jul 2014 , 7:49pm
post #2 of 10

ahhh piping writing.......a skill that only a few talented people can do really well.

I sure can't.  I couldn't even pipe-over neatly by following the imprints from the letter/word presses.  total failure.   However buttercream with a touch of piping gel or corn syrup seems to work best.

vicky764 Posted 2 Jul 2014 , 8:07pm
post #3 of 10

AThanks

I used buttercream and it came out ok, not the neatest but near enough.

I swear I will never attempt to fondant ice a a 12 inch square cake again!!! Especially when colouring the fondant first. I actually have aching wrists!

Happy with the result although I feel put off of cake making from the stress with cracking and breaking fondant and the cake going all lop sided etc. :( [IMG][IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3257813/width/200/height/400[/IMG][/IMG]

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 2 Jul 2014 , 8:55pm
post #5 of 10

Quote:

Originally Posted by MBalaska 

ahhh piping writing.......a skill that only a few talented people can do really well.

I sure can't.  I couldn't even pipe-over neatly by following the imprints from the letter/word presses.  total failure.   However buttercream with a touch of piping gel or corn syrup seems to work best.

I am in the no can do boat!  I hate piping that's why I got the letters to cut out, yeesh, my piping words looks like a first grader did it. In fact, if I got a first grader to do it, it would probably turn out fine.  :oops:

vicky764 Posted 2 Jul 2014 , 9:29pm
post #6 of 10

AHa ha. I must've practised a million times before doing this and it still doesn't look professional. I'm too cheap to buy another set of letter cutters. The ones I have are more for novelty cakes. Thanks all

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 2 Jul 2014 , 9:44pm
post #7 of 10

Vicky764:  Your letters look a million times nicer than mine ever did. !!  I think that you did well.

The purpose of putting the gel or corn syrup in the icing is to soften it a bit, and allow it to stretch a bit, making it easier to manipulate into shape.

Your bike rider must have loved this cake, as it's adorable.  And even if the name is not looking like it came off of a laser printer, you must consider that people love to see their names on their cakes.

vicky764 Posted 2 Jul 2014 , 9:54pm
post #8 of 10

AI suppose. I am new at this so it will take practice. I covered up so many cracks and mistakes in the fondant, when they cut the cake, it'll just fall apart lol.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 3 Jul 2014 , 1:50am
post #9 of 10

APiping just takes practice. It's something that you just have to do over and over and over until you get the hang of it, there are no shortcuts.

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 3 Jul 2014 , 6:28am
post #10 of 10

Your lettering looks great!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%