Melting Buttercream! Help!

Decorating By minasmommy Updated 27 Jun 2014 , 11:08pm by maybenot

minasmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minasmommy Posted 27 Jun 2014 , 12:20pm
post #1 of 5

AFirst off, this is my first time posting. I'm by no means an expert, but this is the first time I've had this issue. I made a cake and cupcakes for my daughter's first birthday party on Saturday. I put the cake and cupcakes in a sealed cake and cupcake containers overnight. This morning the buttercream was extremely soft, but last night it had crusted.

It's been stored in the kitchen, so not a terribly high heat. I used Wilton's high heat/high humidity icing because this is summer in the south, and although her party is indoors, I didn't want to risk any melting. I've used this recipe several times before and had no issues. It has been rainy here lately, so it is humid.

I have time to fix it, but I'm just trying to figure out why this happened. I don't want to wake up on the morning of her party (tomorrow) and have extremely soft/almost melting buttercream and not have time to fix it. Should I have left them uncovered? Does that have anything to do with it? Thanks in advance!

4 replies
minasmommy Posted 27 Jun 2014 , 1:34pm
post #2 of 5

AAny ideas?

alexius007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alexius007 Posted 27 Jun 2014 , 2:27pm
post #3 of 5

It's the sealed container.  I usually put the cover on, but leave it slightly cracked (put a knife in between the cover and base if it won't stay) and don't have a problem.  If I seal it, the frosting softens like you describe.

minasmommy Posted 27 Jun 2014 , 2:31pm
post #4 of 5

AOkay I'll try that. It must be trapping moisture, I guess.

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 27 Jun 2014 , 11:08pm
post #5 of 5

Yes, you have the leave it exposed to air for it to remain crusted.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%