Wrong Flour....

Decorating By Ilovecake89 Updated 26 Jun 2014 , 11:57pm by Ilovecake89

Ilovecake89 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ilovecake89 Posted 26 Jun 2014 , 3:47am
post #1 of 5

Today I learnt what happens when you use the wrong flour... oopps.

My trusted recipe for vanilla bean cupcakes is amazing.. it calls for all purpose flour and baking powder. I have ALWAYS made them that way. Today however, I am pushed for time and upon realizing that I only had S/R flour and didn't have time to go to the shops, I thought what the hell....right?? WRONG!!!

WORST. MISTAKE. EVER!!!!

Now, I need 25 cupcakes for tomorrow morning for my son to take to school for his B'day and I have to leave for school p/u in an hour. I don't have time to go to the shop and bake the cakes in an hour and tonight we have a school concert that finishes at 9pm.. Looks like I will be up till late making cupcakes. *facepalm*

4 replies
bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 26 Jun 2014 , 5:30am
post #2 of 5

There should be no reason that you can't use S.R flour in place of plain flour and baking powder, just leave out the baking powder as the S.R flour already has it in it. I just use whatever flour I have on hand, adjusting the recipe to suit whichever flour I have.

Ilovecake89 Posted 26 Jun 2014 , 6:09am
post #3 of 5

That's what I thought... but it didn't work? :?
I used the amount of flour that the recipe called for. Should I have used less? I don't understand why they didn't turn out.

winniemog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
winniemog Posted 26 Jun 2014 , 9:04am
post #4 of 5

AWhat were the amounts of flour and baking powder in original recipe? SR flour contains 2 tsp baking powder to 1 cup flour, so if the recipe ratios are different or there's other raising agents, you may have to adjust a little. Good luck, I feel your pain of baking way into the night....

Ilovecake89 Posted 26 Jun 2014 , 11:57pm
post #5 of 5

The recipe amounts are 2 and a half cups of plain flour and 2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder. So I just used 2 1/2 cups of S/R flour instead.

Quote:

Originally Posted by winniemog 

SR flour contains 2 tsp baking powder to 1 cup flour

There lies the problem. I will have to remember that for future!

We got there in the end. Ended up getting home at 10pm after the concert. Was up till just after midnight baking up a new batch and preparing BC. Iced them quickly this morning.
All worth it to see the smile on my sons face as he walked into class with a big batch of cupcakes for his friends! :D

Thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%