Is Pharmacy Glycerin Is Same As Baking Glycerin?

Decorating By Declansmama Updated 25 Jun 2014 , 5:42pm by AZCouture

Declansmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Declansmama Posted 25 Jun 2014 , 9:43am
post #1 of 11

AIs pharmacy glycerin is same as baking glycerin? I see most bakers answer yes to this when I Google it. I just looked at some pharmacy glycerin's and didn't see food safe. Then I clicked on the warning part of the label and it said "For external use only". Has anyone actually found a "food safe glycerin at the pharmacy?If so can you share the ppharmacy and brand? Also, please check your pharmacy glycerin warning labels to make sure it can be consumed internally before using on your next cake. Thanks!

10 replies
morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 25 Jun 2014 , 1:50pm
post #2 of 11

ATo be perfectly honest I don't know. But I would not take a chance. Amazon sells food grade glycerin for a good price. I just wouldn't take a chance

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 25 Jun 2014 , 1:59pm
post #3 of 11

i'd sure as shooting take their word for it if it says for external use only--don't buy it at the pharmacy

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 25 Jun 2014 , 3:31pm
post #4 of 11

AThe pharmacy grade glycerine goes into your rear, the food grade goes in your mouth.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 25 Jun 2014 , 3:34pm
post #5 of 11

tmi as gently written as it was 

but the food grade eventually arrives ... :lol:

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 25 Jun 2014 , 4:19pm
post #6 of 11

The food grade glycerine on Amazon is less expensive than the pharmacy grade anyway.  Don't even chance it!

RedneckRuffle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RedneckRuffle Posted 25 Jun 2014 , 4:39pm
post #7 of 11

A

Original message sent by AZCouture

The pharmacy grade glycerine goes into your rear, the food grade goes in your mouth.

HA!

maisie73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maisie73 Posted 25 Jun 2014 , 4:41pm
post #8 of 11

AInstructions on my pharmacy glycerin: for sore throats take by mouth, 1 or 2 x 5 ml spoonfuls every four hours. And it's a lot cheaper from pharmacies here in the UK. That probably doesn't help does it?! Shut up Maisie! :-D

AZCouture Posted 25 Jun 2014 , 5:40pm
post #9 of 11

ACouldn't help it...lol. But yes, one of the uses for it is indeed for rectal insertion to help you...go.

AZCouture Posted 25 Jun 2014 , 5:41pm
post #10 of 11

A

Original message sent by Norasmom

The food grade glycerine on Amazon is less expensive than the pharmacy grade anyway.  Don't even chance it!

That's exactly where I get mine, big old quart for like twenty bucks, maybe a couple bucks more with shipping.

AZCouture Posted 25 Jun 2014 , 5:42pm
post #11 of 11

AThose piddly little four dollar bottles add up quick. Profit killer. Same with bottles of red food coloring. Get large bottles on Amazon as well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%