The Next Great Baker

Lounge By Norasmom Updated 26 Aug 2014 , 6:05pm by MBalaska

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 25 Jun 2014 , 1:18am
post #1 of 30

I'm watching it now and I'm already impressed!  If anyone on this forum is on the show, good luck…I know it's already been taped but I'm still going to wish you luck.

29 replies
mattyeatscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mattyeatscakes Posted 25 Jun 2014 , 3:22am
post #2 of 30

AYes!!! A fellow CC member is one of the contestants!! @gingersoave

http://cakecentral.com/t/774473/im-on-tlcs-next-great-baker-season-4-woo-hooo

Awww i'm so sad :( we don't have able so i am missing the show!!!!

sweettia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettia Posted 25 Jun 2014 , 4:06am
post #3 of 30

AI'm at work so can't see it :(

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 25 Jun 2014 , 1:11pm
post #4 of 30

oh i'm so glad you posted this, nm, i thought i had it set to record but thankfully they are repeating the first episode so i'll get both of them on 7/2-- yes!

-K8memphis Posted 9 Jul 2014 , 1:13am
post #5 of 30

Aso I got caught up w/the first 2 episodes and I'm all set to watch #3 here tonight and the cable is out 'cause it's thunder booming-- the good news is I can record it another time -- but I wish I could share our rain w/california --

anyhow I love this show -- I like all the baking shows-- I finally caught on to rb israel's show too -- it kinda scared/depressed me for a while till I equated jt with "chopped" which also took a while to learn to enjoy-- anyhow...it's really pouring here some more

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 9 Jul 2014 , 2:22am
post #6 of 30

I will have to watch it on-demand…we are painting the ceiling in our TV room (bathtub leaked, unfortunately…:()

RinaM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RinaM Posted 9 Jul 2014 , 9:30am
post #7 of 30

Loving the new series, just shows how even the most talented decorators can crack under pressure. After last night's episode, also shows that you need to be able to deal with just about any situation and think on your feet, I don't know if I would be able to and I have 27 years experience, would you?  I would like to try though, but not on national television.

mattyeatscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mattyeatscakes Posted 15 Jul 2014 , 4:58pm
post #8 of 30

ASooooo?! Is our CC member still in the game? Awww i can't believe i am missing the show, it sounds very exciting from what you guys are describing! I loved the other seasons!

-K8memphis Posted 6 Aug 2014 , 1:58pm
post #9 of 30

AI'm 13 minutes into the latest episode and kai's team should have piped the candy crystals they're trying to make -- the ones that come out attached to strings- they could just line them up and blow torch off the excess- maybe --

signed, arm chair quarterback

I really enjoy this show and the bakery rescues by buddy & kerry

-K8memphis Posted 6 Aug 2014 , 2:07pm
post #10 of 30

Aand I'm concerned about the modeling chocolate being strung for the chandelier-- those lights at the Rachael ray show are maybe gonna melt 'em

mermaidcakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mermaidcakery Posted 6 Aug 2014 , 9:14pm
post #11 of 30

AThey barely made it that far! I still don't understand the choice of the elimination, though.

-K8memphis Posted 6 Aug 2014 , 9:58pm
post #12 of 30

AI know! didn't hardly make it -- SPOILER ALERT

but the cake that smashed -- that's why I like PVC because you can then drill through the whole thing and securely anchor it with a bolt or screw--so it can't unwind back down -- they did not protect that join in any way -- wow what a gut punch though

-K8memphis Posted 13 Aug 2014 , 12:09am
post #13 of 30

Awow there seems to be two new back to back episodes tonight

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 20 Aug 2014 , 6:51pm
post #14 of 30

Y'all happy with who won?

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 20 Aug 2014 , 6:58pm
post #15 of 30

Who won?  what is the prize?

MBalaska Posted 20 Aug 2014 , 7:00pm
post #16 of 30

........because I turned it off pretty quick last week.  I heard Buddy say to the bakers something about baking a cake .........and one of the people said "Well baking is not exactly our forte"  

The Next Great Baker hopeful said that.  Channel changed.

Claire138 Posted 20 Aug 2014 , 7:02pm
post #17 of 30

I don't want to say who won bc I'm not sure if all on here have watched so don't want to spoil it -  but the prize is $100,000 & running a new Carlos bakery in Las Vegas. I will say though, that I was not happy with the winners.

MBalaska Posted 20 Aug 2014 , 7:11pm
post #18 of 30

Cool, no need to do a spoiler.  With $100,000  big dollars the winner could open their own shop if they are that good at baking and decorating, why work for wages?  8)   maybe to learn more about business IDK.

-K8memphis Posted 20 Aug 2014 , 10:41pm
post #19 of 30

Aspoiler alert-- i was glad the butter cream experts won -- but they have to split the $100,000 -- 'cause they're not married to each other -- what is their salary gonna be I wonder -- i think al & lia earned it --

i mean I was pulling for kai and rox but dang you gotta be able to bake a little but i was still really surprised that al & manny made it to the end --

MBalaska Posted 20 Aug 2014 , 11:40pm
post #20 of 30

What is a little bizarre about the whole tv competition is looking at the contestants business websites.  Most of them have incredibly beautiful and creative designs on their pastries. :roll:

-K8memphis Posted 21 Aug 2014 , 1:51am
post #21 of 30

AI need to check those out-- i'll be getting back on my computer tomorrow -- mb, so are you saying beautiful pastries and not any cake pictures? Or just that even their pastries are beautiful too?

-K8memphis Posted 21 Aug 2014 , 1:54am
post #22 of 30

AClaire, who did you want to win -- why weren't you happy with the winners? but their butter cream pagoda was awesome yes?

Claire138 Posted 21 Aug 2014 , 5:31am
post #23 of 30

I agree their BC work was amazing, I've never even seen such clean BC work however I just didn't like them,  they gave of a sort of butter wouldn't melt attitude but I actually found Lia in particular pretty rude, they were also pretty one dimensional. Al and Manny weren't the most polished of the group but they weren't trying to hide it, it's their larger than life personalities which IMO are also quite charming. As to the pastor's wife........... I was shocked!

I too was pulling for Kai and Rox, they are so so talented although I'm not sure I understood the elimination. Sure, it's next great baker but let's face it they will not be in the kitchen baking rather upstairs decorating & they were so so talented. Amazing sculpturing, chocolate and sugar skills. Buddy would be lucky to have them.

And MB, I've always wondered about that; It's the same on the cupcake show (name escapes me I only slept 4 hours last night) Most of the contestants are running bakeries already.

Actually I think the winners from NGB work in a bakery already?

-K8memphis Posted 21 Aug 2014 , 9:29am
post #24 of 30

Acupcake wars -- and what was shocking about the pastor's wife?

I thought their lack of fondant experience would nix them but I liked lia a lot -- either al or Manny were trash talking her to her face -- buddy would ask why should each team win -- of course you've gotta promote yourself -- I think she is pretty young too -- I think they did great and they are from my area so hurray for them!

bottom line -- it's all in how they edited it too --

Claire138 Posted 21 Aug 2014 , 10:04am
post #25 of 30

I agree about the editing but the Pastor's wife was pretty snarky, I guess I would expect more from someone in that role.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 26 Aug 2014 , 2:28am
post #26 of 30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Claire138 

I agree about the editing but the Pastor's wife was pretty snarky, I guess I would expect more from someone in that role.

I used to work at a place that had been a convent and there were still some nuns living on the grounds who my supervisor and I knew. One of our coworkers made a comment about how she didn't know how they "Did that" all the time. We asked her how they did what, and she said 'how they can be happy and nice all the time." My boss and I just looked at each other and burst out laughing hysterically, then we told her that she must not know many nuns. Clergy are just like anyone else, and if you think the pastor's wife is snarky you probably don't want to know what the pastors are like behind closed doors. My father went to seminary when I was in high school and believe me, there's no difference between the clergy and the rest of us.

Claire138 Posted 26 Aug 2014 , 9:41am
post #27 of 30

Quote:

Originally Posted by costumeczar 

I used to work at a place that had been a convent and there were still some nuns living on the grounds who my supervisor and I knew. One of our coworkers made a comment about how she didn't know how they "Did that" all the time. We asked her how they did what, and she said 'how they can be happy and nice all the time." My boss and I just looked at each other and burst out laughing hysterically, then we told her that she must not know many nuns. Clergy are just like anyone else, and if you think the pastor's wife is snarky you probably don't want to know what the pastors are like behind closed doors. My father went to seminary when I was in high school and believe me, there's no difference between the clergy and the rest of us.

I totally get that, I come from a family of Rabbis and my husband is both a Dayan and Rabbi so I know what you mean by saying there is no difference between the clergy and the rest of us - my point was just that I would expect more from someone in that position considering the position if you know what I mean. (Perhaps I'm not expressing myself properly).

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 26 Aug 2014 , 11:54am
post #28 of 30

A

Original message sent by Claire138

I totally get that, I come from a family of Rabbis and my husband is both a Dayan and Rabbi so I know what you mean by saying there is no difference between the clergy and the rest of us - my point was just that I would expect more from someone in that position considering the position if you know what I mean. (Perhaps I'm not expressing myself properly).

No, you are...I just smicker a little when i hear people talk about how much better someone is because they're a member of the clergy. My neighbors will talk about their pastors like they can do no wrong and i just laugh.

Claire138 Posted 26 Aug 2014 , 4:08pm
post #29 of 30

Quote:

No, you are...I just smicker a little when i hear people talk about how much better someone is because they're a member of the clergy. My neighbors will talk about their pastors like they can do no wrong and i just laugh.

I don't think someone isbetter bc they're a member of the clergy or likewise but that considering their position they should behave better (of course though I understand that frustration can get in the way of any good intentions)!

MBalaska Posted 26 Aug 2014 , 6:05pm
post #30 of 30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Claire138 

Quote:

I don't think someone isbetter bc they're a member of the clergy or likewise but that considering their position they should behave better (of course though I understand that frustration can get in the way of any good intentions)!

More proof that baking can make you nuts when you're under a time pressure issue.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%