Best Fondant

Decorating By snwflak56 Updated 9 Jul 2014 , 4:35am by morganchampagne

snwflak56 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snwflak56 Posted 22 Jun 2014 , 3:46pm
post #1 of 7

I know this topic probably has been covered but I am new to all of this and would like a few pointers. 

I have tried the MMF but if it gets too humid then it is just a mess.... it is too thin and just melts off the cake. I recently tried Michelle Fosters Fondant recipe but I don't know what I did wrong because it was super firm and I wasn't able to roll it out easily at all. I have a wedding cake to do in September and I want it to be perfect, any pointers will be greatly appreciated!! Are there any other recipes anyone has tried that work for them when it is hot and humid? Thanks.

6 replies
Lunita13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lunita13 Posted 7 Jul 2014 , 6:05am
post #2 of 7

Hi snwflak56. I've tried using MMF but prefer the Michelle Foster's Fondant recipe. Did you try adding more glycerin to it while kneading? I just made a batch using my stand mixer for the first time last week (I've done it by hand every other time) and added probably more powdered sugar than I needed to because my dough hook was too short and consequently unable to reach the fondant, sugar, and cocoa at the bottom of the bowl. When I went to knead the dough today, it was way harder than any other fondant I've made (it was like one gigantic tootsie roll), but it rolled out fine eventually. I used tips from this blog: http://sugarcoatedchronicle.blogspot.com/2010/09/perfect-fondant-tips-for-covering-cake.html

For example, I needed about two pounds total, but kneaded only a quarter of that at a time. I added glycerin and shortening on each part. It took awhile and a lot of elbow grease but I ended up with nice, pliable (but not stretchy) fondant. It was pretty hot in LA today too but not super humid. 

TheNerdyBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheNerdyBaker Posted 7 Jul 2014 , 8:43am
post #3 of 7

I have honestly tried a majority of the fondants out there over the last couple of years, including MFF, MMF of various kinds, plus Satin Ice, Duffs, Fondex, and one more whose name is escaping me.

For whatever reason, I always find myself going back to Satin Ice or Fondex for the COVERING of my cakes.  I had used Liz Mareks marshmallow fondant recipe for years (mostly because I was super cheap XD) but lately I have been getting less than stellar results due to the heat and humidity.

Now I am still super cheap, and I do still produce Liz Mareks MMF but I now keep it around strictly for the bulk decoration work, as it drastically cuts down on the amount of the more expensive commercial fondant I have to use on a cake.  Plus it does taste great, and for decorative purposes, I have never had an issue with it.

I guess for me, Satin Ice and Fondex have just been consistent.  I know what I am getting in to when I open a tub, and I know what I need to do to get the results I want from it.  Plus laziness plays a factor I'm sure.  I have enough to do, I would rather buy a tub than spend a half hour making fondant :-D

Lunita13 Posted 7 Jul 2014 , 2:28pm
post #4 of 7

Yeah, even though both Liz's recipe (that's the marshmallow one I've used) and the Michelle Foster recipe are pretty easy, they do still take time and more planning ahead since you have to let it rest overnight. If you are looking for a good workout while baking, make your own. My arms are actually sore from the kneading I did yesterday!:)

jennifer521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifer521 Posted 7 Jul 2014 , 11:21pm
post #5 of 7

AI'm new to this site/forum, so I hesitantly offer this suggestion...maybe you all will think I'm lame... is it cool to use Wilton brand fondant? It's what I've been using for years, because it's what was accessible for me. I've made the marshmallow fondant and had the same problems you mentioned above, tried making my own and it was a mess and took forever, tried satin ice and it wasn't any better, so I resorted back to Wilton. Until a few months ago, advised everyone to just peel the fondant of their cake and throw it away. Lately, however, it appears Wilton has reformulated their fondant. Not only is it pretty dang tasty, but it is smoother and easier to use! I'm thrilled that is so much better and I can pick up a 5.5 lb box at Michael's for just over $13 with a coupon. That's even better!

Lunita13 Posted 9 Jul 2014 , 4:32am
post #6 of 7

If it works for you, that's great. I haven't tried it only because I've read so many comments about it tasting really bad. But maybe it's better if they changed the recipe as you say. Being able to pick up a box at Michael's certainly makes things easier!

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 9 Jul 2014 , 4:35am
post #7 of 7

AThe new Wilton I really like. And I'm a complete cake snob lol. I'd get a small box and try it. A decorator friend of mine bought it for me because I wouldn't listen to her. Although I never tried the first formula. It worked pretty great for me. [IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3260456/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%