Vintage Cake Decorating

Decorating By chica07 Updated 10 Jul 2014 , 3:17am by chica07

chica07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chica07 Posted 21 Jun 2014 , 2:49am
post #1 of 13

A[IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3252679/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

I'm replicating this 3 tier circa 1964 cake. I see the bottom tier's thin piping drapes on a rosette, but I think there is another aspect to make it look wavy/lumpy?? Any suggestions?

I'm also trying to find online examples of shell borders, any help here?

Do the top 2 tier's swags look like ruffles?

I'm not into vintage designs so I'm in a new world!!

Any help would be appreciated!!

12 replies
enga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enga Posted 21 Jun 2014 , 10:32am
post #2 of 13

If you could find a copy of this it would help so much, maybe even try to find it at the library.

Hope this helps.

chica07 Posted 21 Jun 2014 , 3:04pm
post #3 of 13

AThank you so much! All of that helps so much! Now I'm off to find that book :-)

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 21 Jun 2014 , 4:12pm
post #4 of 13

Quote:

Originally Posted by chica07 

I see the bottom tier's thin piping drapes on a rosette, but I think there is another aspect to make it look wavy/lumpy??

Actually, the rosettes are on the stringwork (to hide joining points), the bumpy texture is made with a shell border piped in an upward "column" position, and the lower tier has a ruffled leaf tip border on the top edge.

chica07 Posted 21 Jun 2014 , 4:30pm
post #5 of 13

A

Original message sent by CWR41

Actually, the rosettes are on the stringwork (to hide joining points), the bumpy texture is made with a shell border piped in an upward "column" position, and the lower tier has a ruffled leaf tip border on the top edge.

[QUOTE]  [/QUOTE]

I'm trying to imagine where to put the shell 'columns', are they in the middle of the string work? Or are they in line with the rosettes? ( and my idea of the rosette is actually more like a 2D tip with one big squirt of icing, in a drop motion)

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 21 Jun 2014 , 7:37pm
post #6 of 13

"I'm trying to imagine where to put the shell 'columns', are they in the middle of the string work? Or are they in line with the rosettes?"

First, pipe upright shells around cake, next pipe stringwork across every other "column", then pipe a second row of stringwork across remaining columns, then pipe rosettes on last.

chica07 Posted 21 Jun 2014 , 7:45pm
post #7 of 13

A

Original message sent by CWR41

"I'm trying to imagine where to put the shell 'columns', are they in the middle of the string work? Or are they in line with the rosettes?"

First, pipe upright shells around cake, next pipe stringwork across every other "column", then pipe a second row of stringwork across remaining columns, then pipe rosettes on last.

You are my savior!! That makes the most sense. I'm so glad you replied ;-)

CupcakeCali Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupcakeCali Posted 22 Jun 2014 , 4:56am
post #8 of 13

I would find a book from the original Queen of this style by Cile Bellefleur Burbidge. I met her personally and have signed copies and they are so informative and inspirational for doing the work "the hard way".

Having said that, I use this company for elaborate moulds and they have some fantastic borders. 

https://www.etsy.com/shop/SugarArtMolds?ref=l2-shopheader-name

They seem to sell out quickly but if you write her and send her your pic, she'll find what you need.

Good luck and please post your final pics!

chica07 Posted 29 Jun 2014 , 2:49pm
post #9 of 13

A[IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3256382/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

So here is my rendition of their original cake. The client loved it!

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 29 Jun 2014 , 6:46pm
post #10 of 13

Quote:

Originally Posted by chica07 

So here is my rendition of their original cake. The client loved it!

Chica07, the original photo is hard to see clearly, so you did a wonderful interpretation of the piped white wedding cake.  It's lovely.

Cheers,

mb

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 29 Jun 2014 , 8:39pm
post #11 of 13

Your cake looks better than the original  cake. You did an excellent job!!! Well done!!!

CupcakeCali Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupcakeCali Posted 2 Jul 2014 , 4:34am
post #12 of 13

I agree, fantastic job!

chica07 Posted 10 Jul 2014 , 3:17am
post #13 of 13

AI'm humbled y'all. Thanks so much for the sweet comments ;-)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%