Freezing Fresh Cakes

Decorating By cakehappymommy Updated 2 Jul 2014 , 8:16am by enga

cakehappymommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakehappymommy Posted 20 Jun 2014 , 6:35pm
post #1 of 11

AHow's everybody doing on this lovely Friday? I'm in DC and the weather is spectacular! I have my sister in law's wedding next sat. And I'm making a 5 tiered cake, each layer is a 3 inch layer...6,8,10,12,14. Covered in turquoise fondant and silver dragees, and red roses made out of fondant. Fondant and roses are done! Today I'm making 2 6" and 8" and freezing them. My main question, and trust me, I've googled and read previous threads on here for about 2 hrs about freezing, how do I go about thawing them? We don't have a huge freezer so I may only be able to freeze the above mentioned layers. I've read a lot of mixed reviews. Some hate freezing, some swear by it. I made wasc using BC pudding mix cakes and they came out very moist. I'm going to freeze them after I tort them. When I'm ready to decorate, Thursday, how do I thaw them without having them soggy due to condensation? Do I take them out and leave in seran wrap and set on table in air conditioned house, or do I take off wrap and leave them? Should I crumb coat before or after they thaw? So confused from all the posts as to which method prevents disasters. How do I know they are completely thawed? Still a toothpick in middle and feel for resistance? Leave them overnight on counter or do they thaw in a few hrs?? Going to keep researching since I won't be decorating cake on Thursday. I'm not using any fillings, she just wants a plain cake with Buttercream, so I can be left out with fondant for 2 days I'm assuming. But I'm afraid my cakes might soggy and I'll have to start over. I can't afford to bc the dragees are going to be placed one by one.....that's going to kill me. Any suggestions will be helpful. Thank you in advance. I'll also use one for trial...but still wanted opinions.

10 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 20 Jun 2014 , 7:11pm
post #2 of 11

your best bet is your own trial--what works for me might not work for you -- but:

i freeze my cakes all torted, filled and assembled as a tier ready to be iced -- when i remove one from the freezer i'm also ready to ice it and i immediately remove the wrapping so none of the condensation can melt into my product--if i'm too pokey and the icing gets too cold i just start on another tier and set the cold one to the side and then finish when it's warmed up enough to continue -- then i store them in the fridge -- and they are in & out the fridge the rest of their lives till we go on the big ride --

it doesn't take long at all to defrost a cake --

but seriously there's 10,000+ different ways to do this --

cindys sweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindys sweets Posted 21 Jun 2014 , 9:36pm
post #3 of 11

I would recommend putting them from the freezer to the refrigerator overnight and then take them from the refrigerator to the counter.  The pudding cakes tend to be pretty moist so if you thaw it slowly you will be less apt to have it soggy.  Good luck.

enga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enga Posted 21 Jun 2014 , 10:36pm
post #4 of 11

Cakehappymommy I have frozen cakes layers and they came out fine. However, I have never frozen a torted, filled cake.

K8 I have heard you mention before that you use this technique. I want to do it as a trail run for a 3 tier wedding cake later this summer. It would save me so much time. Time better spent not stressed out about uneven layers and other problems that come with stacking, filling, and decorating all at once. Time that I would much rather spend relaxed doing the fun part.

I saw this technique the other day. I want to try freezing the cake using her method. I have had some issues in the past with bulges while working with fondant and butter cream. I hope it works out because the benefits look very promising.

cakehappymommy Posted 22 Jun 2014 , 12:32am
post #5 of 11

AThanks guys...I actually torted the cakes and froze them...I wrapped them in cling and then foil...I took one out, and let it sit on counter without the foil and it came back to room temp fine.....so I'm glad about that bc I've spent 7 hrs baking! I really wish I could fill the layers in buttercream and put the MMF and freeze...it will save me time to put the dragees on one by one...but I'm afraid of how the fondant will act...I may have to do a trial for that too..ugh...I saw the video on YouTube, but I'll be using fondant...I'll give one a try now...fingers crossed!

cakehappymommy Posted 1 Jul 2014 , 10:04pm
post #6 of 11

ASo the cake was a GREAT success!!! Thank God! I baked an entire weekend, 2 of 6x3,8x3,10x3,12x3,14x3...watch tier had 4 layers and was about 6 inches tall...she just wanted buttercream icing, no filling. I torted, filled with icing and seran wrapped and froze. Took out a week later, let defrost half way and applied fondant, decorated and left in a cold room in the house for 2 days and delivered and finished setting up. I did do a trial by freezing a small cake with fondant...when defrosting, it was really smooth, but wet...I just let it stand there for a day and it dried up...then I lightly rubbed some crus I bc if was a bit dry, and it fixed the prob. The cake was sooooooo moist and delish, I got so many compliments...I was having so much fun that I forgot to take a final pic...the wedding had 500 guests and everybody had a piece...it was about 36 inches tall altogether. [IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3257536/width/200/height/400[/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

enga Posted 1 Jul 2014 , 10:12pm
post #7 of 11

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! OOOOOOOoooo, you go Girl! I would have had a conniption stacking those many tiers! Will be coping your notes, lol.

The cake came out lovely!

cakehappymommy Posted 1 Jul 2014 , 10:14pm
post #8 of 11

AThank you...haha!! I almost did have one from putting the dragees on...but honestly it didn't take that long.

enga Posted 1 Jul 2014 , 10:17pm
post #9 of 11

I was looking at that too, nice job. What did you use to stick them on with if you don't mind?

cakehappymommy Posted 2 Jul 2014 , 2:22am
post #10 of 11

AI used americolor clear piping gel...

enga Posted 2 Jul 2014 , 8:16am
post #11 of 11

Quote:

Originally Posted by cakehappymommy 

I used americolor clear piping gel...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%