Covering A Globe With Modelling Chocolate?!!

Decorating By cara1982 Updated 19 Jun 2014 , 7:17pm by cara1982

cara1982 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cara1982 Posted 19 Jun 2014 , 2:44pm
post #1 of 9

AHi, I'm looking for a bit of advice! I have been asked to make a globe cake, which I'm ok with. The biggest hemisphere pan I can find is an 8"so it wont be too big. I've bought a polystirene ball for the bottom part (just the top will be cake) and plan to cover the two halves seperately. Is there any way to disguise the join between the two halves? I have thought about using modelling chocolate but think this would be too expensive. Has anyone had any experience with sphere cakes?!

8 replies
WickedGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WickedGoodies Posted 19 Jun 2014 , 4:42pm
post #2 of 9

Yes! Email me and I will send you a link to a video that I have not yet published about how to do this exact thing. [email protected]  

Also, you can always use a regular stainless steel bowl to bake hemesphere cakes if you need something larger. 

petitecat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
petitecat Posted 19 Jun 2014 , 5:14pm
post #3 of 9

Do you mind if I email you as well wickedgoodies? I have a sphere cake to cover next week!

WickedGoodies Posted 19 Jun 2014 , 5:16pm
post #4 of 9

No I don't mind at all. Feel free to email me!

petitecat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
petitecat Posted 19 Jun 2014 , 5:24pm
post #5 of 9

Thanks! You're a star x

sweettia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettia Posted 19 Jun 2014 , 5:34pm
post #6 of 9

AI would love the video too if that's okay!

enga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enga Posted 19 Jun 2014 , 5:56pm
post #7 of 9

Quote:

Originally Posted by WickedGoodies 

Yes! Email me and I will send you a link to a video that I have not yet published about how to do this exact thing. [email protected]  

Also, you can always use a regular stainless steel bowl to bake hemesphere cakes if you need something larger. 

I didn't know you were a member on CC. Just wanted to say that I love your site!

WickedGoodies Posted 19 Jun 2014 , 6:47pm
post #8 of 9

Thank you, enga! I do enjoy this helpful chat forum. To all others who happen to read this thread and want the private link to that video, just drop me an email. The video shows how to frost over that seam you get when combining two half sphere cakes to make a full sphere. It does not show how to then cover a cake like that in fondant.

To answer that question: to wrap a sphere cake in fondant, you need to start with a cold cake and one big round piece of fondant. Start by draping it over the top of the cake, smoothing it as well as you can, then flipping the cake over to complete the bottom and trim away the excess. If you invert the sphere cake into a shallow bowl lined with some padding and plastic wrap, you will be able to flip the cake over and work on it upside down without squishing the top. It's very important to work with a cold cake when doing this. Even a semi-frozen cake would be best. Then after it's covered, seal it in plastic wrap and wait for it to come to refrigerator temperature before decorating. Depending on how experienced you are with fondant, you might have some creasing towards the bottom of the cake. Use your imagination to add decorations to cover those flaws up. This is a more challenging technique as far as fondanting cakes goes but it's still easier than trying to fondant the cake in two pieces.

cara1982 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cara1982 Posted 19 Jun 2014 , 7:17pm
post #9 of 9

AWow thank you, looking at how smooth you had that sphere on the video, that might be enough. My project isn't for 2 weeks so I might have time to do a little practice!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%