What Do You Prefer? Coloured Fondant Or Colouring Your Own Fondant

Decorating By lross11 Updated 17 Jun 2014 , 12:12am by DeniseNH

lross11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lross11 Posted 16 Jun 2014 , 6:33pm
post #1 of 6

I find colouring fondant can be a very tedious and painful task.  I was curious to know if most of you purchase coloured fondant or if you colour white fondant yourself.

I tend to buy coloured fondant for larger projects and colour the fondant myself for smaller ones.

5 replies
nannycook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannycook Posted 16 Jun 2014 , 7:00pm
post #2 of 6

AOh flip, no I always colour my own, in fact I Have a dart board cake which is black, I will colour this myself too!

ropalma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ropalma Posted 16 Jun 2014 , 7:11pm
post #3 of 6

I also color my own when I melt the marshmallows.  This makes it much easier.  I also use candy melts when making black, red or any dark color.  Melt the marshmallows and then melt the candy melts separate.  Once they are both melted mix together.  You can then add more gel color if it is not dark enough but this method cuts down on using so much gel color.

cupadeecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupadeecakes Posted 16 Jun 2014 , 7:55pm
post #4 of 6

Oh, I HATE coloring fondant!  I keep fondant in most of the base colors (white, black, red, blue, yellow), but I have been known to order a specialty color if I need a lot of it (like baby pink or tiffany blue).  Otherwise I just mix it up.

chocaholikk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocaholikk Posted 16 Jun 2014 , 10:22pm
post #5 of 6

AI always find that buying coloured fondant always makes the fondant look really stretched and look like it's torn n rough (a bit like elephant skin is the best I can describe it) and so I always colour mine myself as much as I hate to colour fondant.

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 17 Jun 2014 , 12:12am
post #6 of 6

I color my own for light to medium colors but buy red, black and purple in the deeper shades.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%