Aaaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!

Baking By SimplyCakesNMore Updated 19 Jun 2014 , 8:29am by Nadiaa

SimplyCakesNMore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SimplyCakesNMore Posted 16 Jun 2014 , 4:18am
post #1 of 18

I need a virtual scream/rant since I can't actually rant or scream right now without waking anybody up.  My cookies just finished baking and I was about to start making my icing while they cool.  I went to reach for my powdered sugar.  NONE.  I have NO PS and it's midnight.  NOWHERE near here is open at this hour--I'll have to drive 30 minutes to get to the nearest Walmart and then back--losing more than an hour.  I have been trying to get these cookies baked all day but my son (6 month old) decided today was the day he needed to be clingy and cry if I wasn't within arm's reach--I've had the ingredients measured out and waiting since this morning.  He NEVER acts like that! EVER!  I'd wait for him to nap--noooooooo!  He refused to nap longer than 20 minutes at a time and it took me an hour to get him to sleep then.  So I had to wait until he was in bed to even start these things and I need to have them ready to deliver by 10 in the morning.  I have 10 hours to finish and now, I can't even make my icing.  I'm a single mom right now and I have no one to watch the baby while I go to Walmart and I'm sure as hell not waking him to take him--I don't even have his car seat here!  It's in my mom's car and she's at work!!  I have leftover fondant but not enough for 8 dozen cookies.  All I need is a simple white icing that I can stick an edible image on and put in a cellophane bag!  I'm screwed.  Totally.  Screwed.  

end rant.

Edited to add:

The reason I have no powdered sugar is because I forgot it at the store.  How does one do that as a decorator?  How do you forget the single most important ingredient in any icing recipe?!  I feel like such an idiot!!

17 replies
enga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enga Posted 16 Jun 2014 , 4:28am
post #2 of 18

Could you use seven minute frosting, it doesn't call for powdered sugar?

SimplyCakesNMore Posted 16 Jun 2014 , 4:37am
post #3 of 18

Never heard of it.  Does it dry hard enough to stack?

Ellie Sunshine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ellie Sunshine Posted 16 Jun 2014 , 4:38am
post #4 of 18

This may sound a bit silly but i assume you were hoping to make royal icing?

If you happen to have any left over fondant you could always roll that out and decorate your cookies? 

Hope you're able to find a solution! 

SimplyCakesNMore Posted 16 Jun 2014 , 4:48am
post #5 of 18

I was going to use a glace icing and just ice the tops in plain white.  I have edible images to put on the cookies because they wanted their logo and it was too complex for me to paint or pipe.  I'm seriously in tears here because this lady has ordered cookies from me several times and it makes me nervous to think I won't deliver on time or even use the same icing.  I googled the seven minute frosting and martha stuart's recipe says it hardens quickly but I am not sure I have enough eggs to make enough for 8 dozen cookies.  So basically I have to give up.  I found a cup and a half of powdered sugar, some color flow mix, and a tiny bit of meringue powder in the cabinets.  I don't have enough fondant to cover all the cookies, either.  I have like a cup of cream cheese buttercream leftover, but that doesn't harden.  This just makes me want to give up on doing cakes and cookies altogether.  I have mush brain way too bad.

KarlaBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarlaBakes Posted 16 Jun 2014 , 4:56am
post #6 of 18

You can make PS just put regular white sugar in the food processor, pulse a few times untill reach desired consistency. Hope it helps!

enga Posted 16 Jun 2014 , 5:03am
post #7 of 18

I'm so sorry you are going through this dilemma. If you have granulated sugar and enough egg whites or meringue powder, you could use a blender or food processor to make your own powdered sugar for royal icing. But I fear the noise would wake up the baby.

Don't give up, maybe you can ask someone if they could run and get you the ingredients that you need. I sincerely hope everything works out for you.

enga Posted 16 Jun 2014 , 5:04am
post #8 of 18

Quote:

Originally Posted by KarlaBakes 

You can make PS just put regular white sugar in the food processor, pulse a few times untill reach desired consistency. Hope it helps!

;-D

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 16 Jun 2014 , 5:07am
post #9 of 18

No wonder you forgot the icing sugar - being a new mum is hard work - what time does your own Mum finish work/take a break? Can she drop by the shops and get you some? Do you have enough fondant to get most of the biscuits done then run out to the shops and get some more fondant (or ingredients to make some) and finish the rest in the morning? I don't know how you would go where you are but sometimes the taxi drivers will go to the shop and grab you stuff at of course a premium rate but that might have to do. Do you have any friends that might have some for you to use?

If you need a good fondant recipe that is simple to make and easy to use I use this one - http://cakecentral.com/t/775913/ready-made-fondant-vs-homemade  - use the one posted by Costumeczar, it says to rest it overnight but have used it straight away without any issues. I halve the recipe as I don't use enough to make the whole recipe and it takes me about 10 minutes to make from start to finish.I use the halved recipe to cover a 6inch round cake, 4inches high with about a third of the fondant left over as a guide to how much it makes.

Good Luck - I hope you get something worked out.

LizzieAylett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LizzieAylett Posted 16 Jun 2014 , 6:47am
post #10 of 18

It may be too late now, but do you have any chocolate and corn syrup?  You could make modelling chocolate with them and then put it in the fridge to speed its setting.  Then just use it like fondant.  Hope you find something to work this out!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 16 Jun 2014 , 11:44pm
post #11 of 18

i do this all the time--forget key ingredients--be making chocolate cake and forget the chocolate--so this won't help for this time but for future maybe --

i try to over buy and stay stocked up and i can only imagine how hard that also might be as a single mom and with a tiny baby--but there's that and i'm sorry you had a bad time today

and if you lived closer i woulda brought you some

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 17 Jun 2014 , 3:12am
post #12 of 18

never did this myself, but maybe you could thin out your fondant with water till its the consistency of icing?

SimplyCakesNMore Posted 17 Jun 2014 , 5:06pm
post #13 of 18

Ladies, thank you!  You're all so awesome.  I did put some granulated sugar in my ninja and tried that, but it was taking forever and I started to worry I'd wake the baby.  I wound up calling my stepdad to keep an eye on Darien and let me run to the store and get the PS.  It took just over an hour and I got them all iced and the edible images on them by 5:30 in the morning.  They didn't turn out as pretty as I'd hoped because I was rushing, I think.  But at least I got them finished.  Cookies are a pain sometimes!  I went to wrap them later and discovered that my 4x4 cellophane bags weren't big enough.  I wound up using plastic wrap.  That was my first HUGE order and it was DEFINITELY a learning experience, lol.  I've decided that I'm never going to the store without a written list again, lol.  I'll post pics of them on here as soon as I get my phone back... I forgot it at a friend's house yesterday.  I swear I'm losing my mind!

pastrypet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrypet Posted 17 Jun 2014 , 5:54pm
post #14 of 18

Sorry I'm late on this, but if it happens again, powdered sugar is made with granulated sugar and cornstarch (1 cup sugar to 1 Tablespoon cornstarch) and blitz in the blender for 30 to 60 seconds. If you have a lot to do, blend it in small batches.

"if you're making icing that will need to stiffen - it's best to add the cornstarch" and "use a glass container, as plastic may be scratched by the sugar."

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 17 Jun 2014 , 6:56pm
post #15 of 18

Quote:

Originally Posted by SimplyCakesNMore 

Ladies, thank you!  You're all so awesome.  I did put some granulated sugar in my ninja and tried that, but it was taking forever and I started to worry I'd wake the baby.  I wound up calling my stepdad to keep an eye on Darien and let me run to the store and get the PS.  It took just over an hour and I got them all iced and the edible images on them by 5:30 in the morning.  They didn't turn out as pretty as I'd hoped because I was rushing, I think.  But at least I got them finished.  Cookies are a pain sometimes!  I went to wrap them later and discovered that my 4x4 cellophane bags weren't big enough.  I wound up using plastic wrap.  That was my first HUGE order and it was DEFINITELY a learning experience, lol.  I've decided that I'm never going to the store without a written list again, lol.  I'll post pics of them on here as soon as I get my phone back... I forgot it at a friend's house yesterday.  I swear I'm losing my mind!

you made it that far without a list? wow dang good -- 

i hope you didn't stay up all night -- that does catch up w/you one way or another --

you gotta sweet stepdad!

SimplyCakesNMore Posted 18 Jun 2014 , 11:46am
post #16 of 18

A

Original message sent by -K8memphis

you made it that far without a list? wow dang good -- 

i hope you didn't stay up all night -- that does catch up w/you one way or another --

you gotta sweet stepdad!

I finally got to bed at about 5:30, lol. Then my baby was up at 6:30. It was a long day to say the least. The good thing is I don't have to do that often. He is definitely a great dad. :)

Nadiaa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nadiaa Posted 19 Jun 2014 , 8:29am
post #18 of 18

AYou did so well. You poor thing, staying up all night!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%