Modeling Chocolate: Questions On Everything

Decorating By 2txmedics Updated 16 Jun 2014 , 4:07am by winniemog

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 14 Jun 2014 , 8:58pm
post #1 of 6

Hi all, I'm thinking of playing with Modeling choc. Since Fondant and I seem to fight and have for years...I have no patience for it...so I decided now that I've kind of can work with Candy melts...I'd like more criper cakes...and thinking of trying Modeling choc.

I came across this last night and I'm seeing alot of post on how to work with this texture, so I decided to post it here in one place instead of trying to post in every single one. Hope this helps others understand it alittle better. It did for me, well for now...lol

What it doesnt tell me is, if you can roll it out, and print an image on the computer and then trace it over the piece you rolled out like you do with fondant to fill in the image with color markers or paint it....Anyone know???

http://www.cakepaperparty.com/?s=modeling+chocolate+ just click the title to take you there. also has 22 ways to color your choc....just click the wording also. 

Has how to fix it also...and a chart somewhere on the page, look around.

http://www.cakepaperparty.com/2014/03/make-modeling-chocolate-make/

http://www.cakepaperparty.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Modeling-Chocolate-Ingredient-Quantities.pdf

5 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 15 Jun 2014 , 1:39am
post #2 of 6

I didn't look at the links, so I don't know if they answer this differently. You can roll out candy clay and trace a design onto it by pressing onto a printed picture, but as far as coloring it that's a little more complicated. Since the candy clay has oil in it it will resist heavy amounts of any kind of water-based colors, so you're going to have to work with either thicker colors or thin coats of color. Experiment with powdered color that's diluted in lemon extract or vodka if you're painting directly onto the candy clay surface. It can definitely be done but it behaves differently than fondant does.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 15 Jun 2014 , 1:42am
post #3 of 6

And if you use the metallic luster dusts on candy clay that works really well, because the way the oils in the candy clay grab the dust, it works better to make a more metallic sheen than fondant does. When I make cakes with metallic details I usually try to use candy clay insead of fondant because it gives you a better shine.

cupadeecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupadeecakes Posted 15 Jun 2014 , 2:17am
post #4 of 6

AI love modeling chocolate! There is a Craftsy class on it that I highly recommend for beginners (of the medium). I have had TERRIBLE luck with using edible markers on modeling chocolate when you are going to put the cake in the Refridgerator. It has run, dripped and looked terrible when you take it out and it gets condensation (an hour or so out). I will not use the pens again for this reason. Good luck!

LizzieAylett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LizzieAylett Posted 15 Jun 2014 , 1:34pm
post #5 of 6

You can use melted cocoa butter mixed with dusts to paint on chocolate.

winniemog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
winniemog Posted 16 Jun 2014 , 4:07am
post #6 of 6

AI paint on modelling chocolate with oil-based colours, not water-based ones, with one exception - the water-based colours bead up on the surface of the modelling chocolate, so it looks like perfect scales on reptiles or dragons made of modelling chocolate.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%