Help!! Caramel Sauce Issues

Decorating By GJsLady Updated 14 Jun 2014 , 3:16am by Seatac123

GJsLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GJsLady Posted 14 Jun 2014 , 2:27am
post #1 of 4

I know this isn't technically a cake question, but since I use it on my cakes/cupcakes, I'm begging for some help.  I have made caramel sauce several times in the last few months and it always went relatively smoothly.  Since last Sunday, I have attempted 5 different batches and I have no clue what's going on.  The first two turned to rock candy in the pan before it even started to caramelize, so I turned to the web and googled the issues I was having.  I found a recipe that called for corn syrup and said it would keep it from crystalizing.  So, back to the kitchen I went.  They were right, it didn't crystalize.  Instead, it turned to POWDER!!   So, I decided to wait a couple of days, gather my wits and try again.  I made a batch, and got rock candy again.  After a couple phone calls to family (I think I was mainly looking for sympathy), I got to thinking, the sugar I had might or might not be pure cane sugar.  I picked it up on sale and the bag only say "sugar".  I've heard that beet sugar will act differently in some applications than cane sugar, so I went to the store, bought "pure cane" sugar.  I was all hyped up to get this right, because I just knew that was the problem, and I had solved it.  Yet again, rock candy!  I have even tried using different pans.  Can anyone Please give me some suggestions/ideas about how to fix it. I was really wanting to do a salted caramel cake for Fathers Day, but at this rate, the family may have to settle for Chocolate Cake w/peanut butter buttercream.  lol  I know this is long and ranty and I apologize for that, but thank you all in advance for your help!

3 replies
Seatac123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Seatac123 Posted 14 Jun 2014 , 2:36am
post #2 of 4
Krypto Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Krypto Posted 14 Jun 2014 , 3:06am
post #3 of 4

The recipe Seatac123 posted is wonderful. It makes a lot but it freezes really well. Best wishes!

Seatac123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Seatac123 Posted 14 Jun 2014 , 3:16am
post #4 of 4

one of the commenters said it makes 4 cups of sauce. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%