Airbrush System

Decorating By alene Updated 16 Jun 2014 , 12:42am by enga

alene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alene Posted 8 Jun 2014 , 11:55pm
post #1 of 14

I received this airbrush gun and have no idea what I would need to purchase to make it work, besides airbrush colors.  Anyone know anything about airbrush systems can help me.  thank you 

13 replies
liz at sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz at sugar Posted 9 Jun 2014 , 12:07am
post #2 of 14

Alene - You will need a compatible hose, maybe a coupler/air pressure control piece, a compressor, and airbrush colors.  Americolor makes those under the Amerimist name.  I'm new to airbrushing, but I know you at least need all that! :)

Liz

alene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alene Posted 9 Jun 2014 , 12:20am
post #3 of 14

Thank you Liz.  I figured I needed a hose and compressor but really just don't know what I'm doing.

RedneckRuffle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RedneckRuffle Posted 9 Jun 2014 , 2:34am
post #4 of 14

Ahttp://m.harborfreight.com/air-tools/air-compressors/1-5-hp-58-psi-compressor-and-airbrush-kit-95630.html

I've had this setup for years and it still works great. It comes with a moisture seperator built onto it. On most compressors, you have to buy that separate. I don't think the airbrush that comes with it is a dual-action, but you could stick it in a drawer as a backup.

sweettia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettia Posted 9 Jun 2014 , 3:18am
post #5 of 14

AI'd love to do airbrushing but im terrified to try lol Kudos to yall for doing it though#

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 9 Jun 2014 , 3:25am
post #6 of 14

I started out with a cheap one like that before upgrading.  I took it and my compressor in to a local shop and had them fit the right hose and coupler to make it work.

sha1col Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sha1col Posted 9 Jun 2014 , 5:29am
post #7 of 14

I'm interested in getting a complete airbrush system.  I don't decorate a lot of cakes now, but I pray that things will pick up for me in the future once I can build a solid portfolio.  Basically I don't need it for anything specific, but would like something that will last me some years...any suggestions on system(s) / brand(s)?

thabestsin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thabestsin Posted 15 Jun 2014 , 10:24pm
post #8 of 14

AFor this item that you posted, what else would I need besides the color to start to airbrush? And thank you in advance for the answer

RedneckRuffle Posted 15 Jun 2014 , 10:50pm
post #9 of 14

AIf you meant the kit that I posted, you won't need anything else. I would just spend some time on practice paper to make sure all the manufacturing dust is blown out of the line.

enga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enga Posted 15 Jun 2014 , 11:13pm
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckRuffle 

If you meant the kit that I posted, you won't need anything else. I would just spend some time on practice paper to make sure all the manufacturing dust is blown out of the line.

Do you like the dual action airbrush better? I wish I had of seen this set before I bought mine, got everything separate :(

RedneckRuffle Posted 16 Jun 2014 , 12:16am
post #11 of 14

AOnce you get use to a dual action, you won't use anything else. I airbrushed T-shirts long ago, and it was a must. They allow you to control the flow of air before you start the flow of ink, whereas with a single action, you better be ready when you pull the trigger. Duals are less likely to sputter. Sputter is bad, as you know. Also, duals more often have more needle valves available to match the viscosity of whatever you're spraying. I learned to use a dual when I was a teenager in my mom's cake shop in Georgia, and was hooked.

enga Posted 16 Jun 2014 , 12:23am
post #12 of 14

Now I'm drooling again, every time I come on this site I want to buy something. But this sounds like it would be worth it because boy oh boy do I know sputter! Could you please recommend a good brand and model? I have a patriot 105 that I just cant seem to get used to.

RedneckRuffle Posted 16 Jun 2014 , 12:36am
post #13 of 14

AI've been using Paasche VL guns forever. Just because of the drawer full of spare parts I have for them. They have really smooth transition from airflow to inkflow (pushing down then back on trigger, respectively)

enga Posted 16 Jun 2014 , 12:42am
post #14 of 14

Dang it, I saw one someone was trying to get rid of for a hundred bucks! I didn't know there was that big of a difference between the single and dual action ones, thanks RedneckRuffle.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%