Looking For A Pie, Not Sure What T's Called

Baking By craftybanana Updated 9 Jun 2014 , 5:52pm by craftybanana

craftybanana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybanana Posted 7 Jun 2014 , 12:38am
post #1 of 12

My hubby has requested a fruit pie for Father's Day that he says is made by cooking down fruit(mixed berries) and refrigerating it, but has NO gelatin. When sliced it holds it shape (like jello) unlike a regular pie (apple). That's all he knows. Any ideas? I'd make him a cake, but he's all caked out right now. And I've never heard of this kind of pie that doesn't use gelatin but still holds its shape when cut.

11 replies
matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 7 Jun 2014 , 1:01am
post #2 of 12

There are a lot of pies that basically make a refrigerator jam as they cool with a combination of pectin and natural sugars and cornstarch.  You should google open fresh berry pie.  There are many great recipes. 

sweettooth101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettooth101 Posted 7 Jun 2014 , 1:03am
post #3 of 12

I make a  Strawberry flan/pie with shortcrust pastry, baked blind

.Fill first with a thin layer of cooled boston cream, Then arrange fresh sliced strawberries, over that goes a fruit glaze. I usually buy the ready packets of glaze but have made it when out of it by boiling  arrow root powder with water, add food color and strawberry essence.Spread over the strawberries. Allow to set overnight, decorate with fresh cream whipped until stiff, sweetened. Pipe on flan/pie.

Singerssoul Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Singerssoul Posted 7 Jun 2014 , 1:12am
post #4 of 12

matthewkyrankelly has the gist of it.  When I make my fresh fruit pies, once cooled, they hold their cut shape nicely.  A recipe with fresh fruits mixed with flour/sugar and sometimes a bit of cornstarch will normally do this.  As long as it is cooked appropriately and allowed to cool  thoroughly, it should work fine for what you are looking for. It will be easier to use fresh fruit rather than frozen if possible.  Frozen fruit will require a bit more finesse to ensure that the pie is not too runny. 

craftybanana Posted 7 Jun 2014 , 2:37am
post #5 of 12

Thank you, I didn't know that was common, doh! I will Google berry pies and fresh fruit pies. I knew someone on here knew what the heck he was talking about. :) 

I found this I think I'll try:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/No-Bake-Fresh-Fruit-Pie-103948

but the reviewers say that there is too much water and sugar?

I did find this too though: http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/recipes/desserts/fruit-filling-variations-aug00 it's a nice little guide for the cornstarch/sugar/water ratios, so I'll try the mixed berry ratio. :)

Singerssoul Posted 7 Jun 2014 , 4:06am
post #6 of 12

Watch out for adding water.  Most fresh berries have enough on their own that additional is not needed.  Make sure you cook to bubbling.  When I make blueberry pie, the only liquid I add to the berries is a touch of lemon juice along with the dry mix as it brings out the berry flavor.

pastrypet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrypet Posted 7 Jun 2014 , 7:32am
post #7 of 12

I never add water to my fruit pies, and I don't pre-cook the fruit.

Singerssoul Posted 7 Jun 2014 , 2:07pm
post #8 of 12

Yep, no need to pre-cook the filing.  Follow your recipe, fill your pie with your fruit that has been coated in your dry mixture  and bake in the oven until bubbling and lightly brown.   If your feeling adventurous, try a lattice on top which can look good and provide great venting.  If you find it daunting try this site:http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/how_to_make_a_lattice_top_for_a_pie_crust/.  Or many like it. 

:)

craftybanana Posted 8 Jun 2014 , 9:17pm
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singerssoul 

Watch out for adding water.  Most fresh berries have enough on their own that additional is not needed.  Make sure you cook to bubbling.  When I make blueberry pie, the only liquid I add to the berries is a touch of lemon juice along with the dry mix as it brings out the berry flavor.

Thanks, I'll only add water if needed then. The cooking part sounds like I'm making jam, but I'll wager a guess that I don't cook to jelling point, lols.  And this is for a refrigerated pie, not a baked one. :)

Thanks again ;-D 

pastrypet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybanana Posted 9 Jun 2014 , 5:52pm
post #12 of 12

@pastrypet The first recipe is the one I posted that's on Epicurious, guess that mean I'm on the right track :)

@shanter : I saw that one, but it uses gelatin, thanks though :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%