Has Anyone Ever Airbrushed Sugar Veil?

Decorating By qtrican Updated 5 Jun 2014 , 10:56pm by qtrican

qtrican Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
qtrican Posted 5 Jun 2014 , 2:39pm
post #1 of 3

I just tried to make black sugar veil in order to make some lace for a cake I'm making. After adding americolor super black and a bunch of powdered food coloring it still came out dark grey. I need to know if after the lace has dried can I give it a pass with my airbrush to make it black? Will it change the consistency of the lace? Will it make it sticky or brittle? Thanks in advance.

2 replies
emilyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emilyg Posted 5 Jun 2014 , 4:11pm
post #2 of 3

Hello qtrican,

For making SugarVeil black, you can airbrush white SugarVeil decorations - this is the most economical way to do it, since it takes about 5 tsp. of powdered color mixed into one cup of dry SugarVeil to get a good black. Note that liquid or gel colors mixed into SugarVeil are great for medium or pastel shades, but because SugarVeil is so white-white, it takes way too much sticky liquid/gel color mixed into it to get a deep black, red, or any really intense color. 

qtrican Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
qtrican Posted 5 Jun 2014 , 10:56pm
post #3 of 3

Thank you for the response! I just peeled off my first piece of lace and I am in love with the results. I can see using sugar veil for lots of different things! It's good to know I can airbrush the product. I can see lots of gold and silver this holiday season!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%