Cameo Silhouette For Cakes???...

Decorating By Mikel79 Updated 10 Jun 2014 , 10:43am by Mikel79

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 4 Jun 2014 , 11:38pm
post #1 of 15

AHi Cakers!

I've read similar posts on this site about the Cameo. However, i still have questions.

1. I already know it's not food safe and not to use paper if using it for cakes. But, those of you who do use it, what are your thoughts.

2. I've seen multiple YouTube videos of the cameo in action. Those of you who apply the icing sheet cut out directly to buttercream, does the cut image absorb the shortening/butter in the icing causing the cut image to discolor?? ----I usually place a piece of fondant behind my icing sheet images to prevent this, but the cameo makes small intricate cuts that I could not match by hand to do this--

3. I found the cutter online for gumpaste and icing sheets, but have any of you used fondant?

4. Most of the YouTube videos show the cameo being used in conjunction with a edible printer. Do any of you just use the cameo without the edible printer?

5. I would love to see some of your cakes that are decorated using the cameo.

6. My edible printer will not get used for months at a time. This is heck on my ink cause the printer has to be used at least every other day to keep the ink from clotting and distorting your images. I now have to buy a whole new unit cause the head is shot! --yes I've done all the cleanings available-- is their any draw backs if I don't use the cameo for long periods of time?

Okay I'm done!! LOL!

Thanks ;-)

14 replies
thecakewitch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakewitch Posted 5 Jun 2014 , 12:16am
post #2 of 15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikel79 

Hi Cakers!

I've read similar posts on this site about the Cameo. However, i still have questions.

1. I already know it's not food safe and not to use paper if using it for cakes. But, those of you who do use it, what are your thoughts. "I just use a different blade for frosting sheets."

2. I've seen multiple YouTube videos of the cameo in action. Those of you who apply the icing sheet cut out directly to buttercream, does the cut image absorb the shortening/butter in the icing causing the cut image to discolor?? ----I usually place a piece of fondant behind my icing sheet images to prevent this, but the cameo makes small intricate cuts that I could not match by hand to do this-- "I have never apply frosting sheet directly to bc. Maybe just use white bc under the sheet."

3. I found the cutter online for gum paste and icing sheets, but have any of you used fondant? "Fondant is too soft, will not work"

4. Most of the YouTube videos show the cameo being used in conjunction with a edible printer. Do any of you just use the cameo without the edible printer? "Yes, Print & Cut is just one of the things you can do but it is basically a cutting machine"

5. I would love to see some of your cakes that are decorated using the cameo.

6. My edible printer will not get used for months at a time. This is heck on my ink cause the printer has to be used at least every other day to keep the ink from clotting and distorting your images. I now have to buy a whole new unit cause the head is shot! --yes I've done all the cleanings available-- is their any draw backs if I don't use the cameo for long periods of time? "None"

Okay I'm done!! LOL!

Thanks icon_wink.gif

If you buy it from Linda McClure, you'll get a book/cd instruction on the many things you can do with it for cake.

Mikel79 Posted 5 Jun 2014 , 12:42am
post #3 of 15

AI'm trying to avoid spending all this $$$$ if it's not something that's going to work out for me. Hoping others who use it currently can shed some light on this topic.

Thx for the input! ;-)

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 5 Jun 2014 , 1:19am
post #4 of 15

AI have it and use it all the time. I no longer buy countless cutters for everything. I've used them with gumpaste, wafer paper, and icing sheets. It's well worth the money to me. The cuts are very precise. I use the cameo all the time without the edible printer. Although I do have one. If you're not going to use it for months at a time don't bother buying one.

Google linda McClure cakes that's the most comprehensive gallery on the internet of cameo cut out cakes. I would highly recommend you buy the accessory package she sells for cake decorating.

morganchampagne Posted 5 Jun 2014 , 1:21am
post #5 of 15

AThere's a learning curve for the software that you use. But it can be figured out

Mikel79 Posted 5 Jun 2014 , 1:28am
post #6 of 15

AYou stated not to bother buying one if I'm not going to use it for a few months at a time. Is there a reason? Does it effect the printer negatively not being used?? I don't do a lot of cakes but when I do, I enjoy trying to get them as perfect as possible.

morganchampagne Posted 5 Jun 2014 , 2:52am
post #7 of 15

AYes. The edible ink cartridges dry out if they are not used and it's hell to fix, if not impossible

Mikel79 Posted 5 Jun 2014 , 10:37am
post #8 of 15

Quote:

Originally Posted by morganchampagne 

Yes. The edible ink cartridges dry out if they are not used and it's hell to fix, if not impossible

Edible ink?????

I don't think the Cameo as edible ink?

My last question referenced my edible printer that I have.  And yes, if not used regularly it does cause issue.  However, I was asking if there are any issues with the Cameo if not used on a regular basis.

Thanks.

morganchampagne Posted 5 Jun 2014 , 5:17pm
post #9 of 15

AOh I'm sorry. No there's no issues with the cameo

Mikel79 Posted 5 Jun 2014 , 5:19pm
post #10 of 15

AThx! ;-)

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 5 Jun 2014 , 9:44pm
post #11 of 15

AI really like my Cameo. I bought Linda's lot. I use the premium cutter sheets. They do best on fondant. They are fine on BC, but have a tendency to peel away when in the fridge. Just put a dab of water and push back in place when the cake was.

I use it with my edible printer as well.

Not sure what's in my gallery....

There are several monograms cut from the sheets shown on my website. There is a 5 tier peach and white with lace. The monogram on top was cut with the cameo. Also in my gallery, under grooms cakes, is a Crown Royal label. Printer & Cameo made that much easier.

On my Facebook page, there is a photo of a very detailed cypher monogram. It's the second post as of today. I cut it fr the pearl luster sheets.

Today, I am creating a section of a stadium. The decor is the "Wolf Pack" design created by student fans. I'm using the printer & cameo. I don't even want to think about cutting all those tiny squares to spell out wolf pack!

DeliciousDesserts Posted 5 Jun 2014 , 9:45pm
post #12 of 15

AOne more tip! When considering printers, Canon offers one that prints on the 12" x 12" cutting sheets. In case you have large items, this is the way to go!

Mikel79 Posted 5 Jun 2014 , 9:54pm
post #13 of 15

AThanks deliciousdesserts!

Lots of good info. ;-)

DeliciousDesserts Posted 8 Jun 2014 , 2:03am
post #14 of 15

AI don't even want to think of cutting all these tiny squares by hand. This was a def edible image/silhouette cake. I use only [@]icingimages[/@] premium cutting sheets & gold label ink. [IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3247441/width/200/height/400[/IMG] [IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3247442/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

Mikel79 Posted 10 Jun 2014 , 10:43am
post #15 of 15

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeliciousDesserts 

I don't even want to think of cutting all these tiny squares by hand. This was a def edible image/silhouette cake. I use only @icingimages premium cutting sheets & gold label ink.

Great cake!

Thank you for the input!  =)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%