Would Bubble Tea Straws Be Appropriate To Support 10", And 12" Cakes?

Decorating By tsal Updated 31 Mar 2016 , 1:32am by Sarahw13

tsal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 1 Jun 2014 , 3:21pm
post #1 of 11

Hi,

I love bubble tea straws, and am making my friend's wedding cake in August.  I have used them to support up to 8" cakes, but can I use them for larger tier support?  If so, how many should I use?

I usually use 2 or 3 to support a 6" and 4 to support an 8". 

Advice/comments?

10 replies
nadiacorallo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nadiacorallo Posted 1 Jun 2014 , 3:32pm
post #2 of 11

AI would say don't risk it for bigger tiers! I recently made a 3 tier cake 10, 8, and 6 and I used bubba straws. I put 6 under the 8 inch and 4 under the 6 inch and the next day I was told that the cake was caving in :'( I won't chance that again. Now I use the thicker plastic dowels for heavier cakes. That cannot bend under pressure. Perhaps you could do a combination of bubba straws and this wooden dowels for added support.

tsal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 1 Jun 2014 , 3:56pm
post #3 of 11

Thanks, Nadia!  I will use the Wilton plastic tube dowels.  I find them a PITA to cut, but perhaps I will invest in a pair of PVC cutters.

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 1 Jun 2014 , 8:50pm
post #4 of 11

SPS

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 1 Jun 2014 , 9:52pm
post #5 of 11

AYes, they'll be just fine. In my photos is a pic of a 4 tier wedding cake--14", 11", 8", 5"--all supported by bubble tea straws with a central dowel.

The straws, cut evenly of course, won't slip or crush. I do use foam core cake boards--never corrugated cardboard--that I coat with melted edible soy wax.

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 1 Jun 2014 , 10:51pm
post #6 of 11

This is the cake. 

There was 5 straws in the 14" to support the 11", 4 straws in the 11" to support the 8", and 3 straws in the 8" to support the 5". 

It traveled 2.5 hrs. partially assembled [the 11" was on the 14" with the central dowel] and I added the 8" & 5" at the venue, one at a time.

I recently did this wedding cake for the son of a friend.  The bride didn't want a topper or anything else, but I'd have liked a large peony or rose on top.  The fondant is Albert Uster FondArt, a product that I love.  I matched the blue to David's Bridal Malibu Blue.  The damask is royal icing stenciling.  The embossed ribbon is a new product from Wilton and I love it--deep embossing, flexible, and very time saving.

CindiM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CindiM Posted 1 Jun 2014 , 11:22pm
post #7 of 11

I use bubble tea straws with foam core boards also, in all of my tiered cakes, which are 3 to 6 tiers. 

No problem!  I love them.   

I assemble on site as my cakes are very heavy.  I only use a long wooden central dowel, if the cake is to be moved or the table is wiggly.

nadiacorallo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nadiacorallo Posted 2 Jun 2014 , 3:19am
post #8 of 11

A

Original message sent by tsal

Thanks, Nadia!  I will use the Wilton plastic tube dowels.  I find them a PITA to cut, but perhaps I will invest in a pair of PVC cutters.

would wire cutters work?

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 2 Jun 2014 , 3:24am
post #9 of 11

AAnother support for bubble straws here. As long as you aren't reckless in measuring and follow normal cautionary procedures for any doweling system, you're good to go.

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 2 Jun 2014 , 12:01pm
post #10 of 11

AI use bubble tea straws for all my cakes. Measure the length required for each tier and make sure all the straws in the same tier are the exact same length.

I use 2 less straws then the diameter of the cake I am supporting. So, if I am placing the straws in a 12" cake to support a 10" cake I use 8 straws. In a 10" cake that will have an 8" cake resting on it, I use 6 straws...

Sarahw13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sarahw13 Posted 31 Mar 2016 , 1:32am
post #11 of 11

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%