Only You Will Understand :-/

Decorating By johnbailey64 Updated 1 Jun 2014 , 12:25am by johnbailey64

johnbailey64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnbailey64 Posted 29 May 2014 , 4:16pm
post #1 of 10

I'm doing a 'Frozen" themed cake this weekend. Just a sheet cake, but Mom comes over all excited a couple of weeks ago - about the printed icing sheet she got for me to put on  it, with the daughters names on it.

It's 8x10. :-/  And the cake is a combined birthday cake for her 2 daughters, who both have winter birthdays, so she has their party in the summer so they can have a water slide and outdoor party.

But 8x10. On a sheet cake. That needs to have 2 'sides' - one for each girl. (half chocolate cake, half vanilla)

Oh, and they want zebra stripes on it. lol. I'm all about mixing things up and  letting little girls have what they want on their birthday cake, but I at least talked her into letting me do the zebra in blue instead of black.

So, I'm thinking of doing the icing sheet on one side and a big snowman character laying down, 2d-ish on the other side.  Blue zebra on the sides only. They don't want a fondant cake, but he stripes and snowman will be fondant decorations.

The icing sheet is white background so I think the cake icing should be white, but I may spray on a bit of blue under the snowman. Hmmmmm

I may do some blue isomalt ice shards. I don't know. I just need to get this cake in my head today. That 8x10 icing sheet just gets in my way. It's going to be too small! The writing on it is small. Just not going to be a great looking cake.

I SO wish she would have asked me about it before she ordered that icing sheet.

I often design my OWN sheets and order custom ones.

I did their cakes last year and they had separate ones, but she only wanted one this year.

:-/

I'm open to suggestions!

9 replies
MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 31 May 2014 , 3:51am
post #3 of 10

That's pretty cute.  The frosting sheet looks right in place next to your candles.  You did it well.

Pearl645 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pearl645 Posted 31 May 2014 , 5:58am
post #4 of 10

I really love your cake. I like the blue isomalt shards of ice. This was well done.

johnbailey64 Posted 31 May 2014 , 6:03am
post #5 of 10

AThanks. The blue 'zebra' came out better than I thought. But I wish the icing sheet was a little closer to center. But once it was down there was no moving it.

bakernoob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakernoob Posted 31 May 2014 , 7:24am
post #6 of 10

I think you did a fantastic job of bringing it all together. When I was first reading your description I couldn't even picture what all of that would look like together but when I saw your picture then I thought wow it totally all worked!

johnbailey64 Posted 31 May 2014 , 4:19pm
post #7 of 10

:-)  Guess we all enjoy a challenge! Especially when it turns out ok. lol

Krypto Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Krypto Posted 31 May 2014 , 11:27pm
post #8 of 10

AGreat job! Very creative.

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 31 May 2014 , 11:58pm
post #9 of 10

I had no ideas either but you did a banner job sorting out all the requests and giving her two for the price of one.  So glad she only calls once a year.  Gives you time to recover  :-)

johnbailey64 Posted 1 Jun 2014 , 12:23am
post #10 of 10

AThanks :-) lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%