Hot & Humid, Bc Or Ganache ?

Decorating By daprincessnora Updated 6 Jun 2014 , 4:36am by daprincessnora

daprincessnora Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daprincessnora Posted 29 May 2014 , 6:33am
post #1 of 4

Hello

I live in hot and humid area (110F/ 60%) will be doing a fondant covered cake and transfer it by myself I have couple of questions about that;

1)Shall I use Buttercream underneath or Ganache? which holds better in hot weather?

2)After covering with fondant shall I chill it until its out for transfer or I can leave it at room temperature (AC on 77F)

3)I'm afraid of condensation during the transfer of the cake from cold to hot weather outside..how to avoid that?

Appreciate your advises, Thanks xoxo

3 replies
cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 29 May 2014 , 2:37pm
post #2 of 4

ADoes your buttercream contain butter? If yes, then I would go with ganache for sure. If no, then either option would be fine.

I refrigerate all my cakes. Buttercream, ganache, fondant...all of them. I have never had a problem. Does the fondant cake form condensation? Yes, but it is only a little bit. Just don't touch the fondant until the condensation dries. Otherwise you will leave finger print marks on the cake.

BakingBlog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingBlog Posted 31 May 2014 , 12:42pm
post #3 of 4

I would strongly suggest ganache as well. When I do a cake in my company and the event is in a warm place or during summer we suggest ganache. Ganache gets really hard in the fridge and stays cold and hard for a long time.

If buttercream is a requirement, then the customer may need to take care not to leave the cake out of the fridge for longer periods of time - depending on the design of the cake etc.

and the other questions:

2) If you leave it in the fridge it obviously remains colder, but the risk of condensation once out of the fridge is greater. Depending on the filling inside the cake you can leave it at a cool room temperature.

3) Yes, that may happen, and you just have to let it dry. It'll disappear once the outer parts of the cake get closer to outside air temperature.

daprincessnora Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daprincessnora Posted 6 Jun 2014 , 4:36am
post #4 of 4

AThanks alot [@]BakingBlog[/@] [@]cai0311[/@] i will be making the cake today and will ganache it ...will post the photos here once finished :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%