How Do Those Throwing A Bridal Or Baby Shower Select The Person Who Does The Cake Ordering?

Lounge By howsweet Updated 27 May 2014 , 10:47pm by MBalaska

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 27 May 2014 , 7:12pm
post #1 of 6

Any thoughts?

5 replies
MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 27 May 2014 , 7:18pm
post #2 of 6

I don't know. :duh:  Up until the last 10 years or so, I don't remember anyone having a 'celebration cake' at a baby shower. Margaritas were more likely.    Cakes were for birthdays and weddings.

cakebaby2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaby2 Posted 27 May 2014 , 9:09pm
post #3 of 6

Bridal showers are the "matron of honour" bride's sisters, bridesmaids etc at least that is what my daughters have done and the baby shower is usually a sister MIL or the other granny although sometimes its more informal if work colleagues organise it. Either way the person ordering the cake should have the money from the "kitty". (Do you have a kitty in the US or is it called something else?)

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 27 May 2014 , 10:19pm
post #4 of 6

Yes, people call it the kitty here in the US. :)

I'm sorry, but I worded my post so as to not say the awful thing I was thinking and now no one knows what the heck I'm talking about. I guess I'll just say it. From my personal experience, the person chosen seems to often be the person least able to accomplish the task and may also be someone who doesn't give a flying flip how it turns out. There, I said it. :smile:

I was wondering if anyone else had noticed this and had theories as to the reasons behind it.

cakebaby2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaby2 Posted 27 May 2014 , 10:34pm
post #5 of 6

I see...so you've had the village idiot to deal with? Maybe the control freak who's secretly jealous of the bride/new mummy grabs the job then tries to scam the kitty and the decorator?

Oh the intrigue. On a serious note I've noticed that if the bride to be brings a friend to a consult with me its often the friend with the biggest mouth and who tries to haggle over price, (not cake, I do flowers)

Maybe its a misplaced loyalty thing, but I prefer to imagine sabotage.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 27 May 2014 , 10:47pm
post #6 of 6

maybe it's just not that important for those occasions, except to rich people with disposable income, realistically speaking.    So of course, you're going to continue to target your business to that stratum.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%