I Need Advice!

Decorating By DamjanaSpahic Updated 2 Jun 2014 , 2:09pm by RedneckRuffle

DamjanaSpahic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DamjanaSpahic Posted 27 May 2014 , 7:06pm
post #1 of 4

Hi there,

so in about a week I will be making my first cake using Fondant.

Is there any advice anyone can give me such as:

- what tools should I use?

- what icing is best used under fondant? (recipe would be great!)

- is it okay to use food colouring in fondant?

& any other advice you could give me, that would be great!

Thanks!

3 replies
roxylee123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roxylee123 Posted 29 May 2014 , 11:34pm
post #2 of 4

Hi I am only a hobby baker but see no one else has answered so thought I would try and help if I can. You will need a rolling pin to roll your fondant, a fondant smoother to smooth it or you can use a ball of the same colour fondant to smooth.I have only use buttercream under fondant so far her is the recipe I use.

Make sure to get your buttercream as smooth as you can and then let it set up before you attempt to put your fondant on.I brush the cake with a little cool boiled water or sugar syrup before applying fondant to help it stick.

You can use food colouring in fondant but are best to use paste food colours and apply a bit at a time with a cocktail stick then knead well to get an even colour.There are loads of videos on you tube about how to cover a cake in fondant that you might want to take a look at.hth

DamjanaSpahic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DamjanaSpahic Posted 2 Jun 2014 , 1:27pm
post #3 of 4

Thank you!

RedneckRuffle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RedneckRuffle Posted 2 Jun 2014 , 2:09pm
post #4 of 4

AYou should watch some YouTube videos. It helps to actually watch someone do it. If GlobalSugarArt, WoodlandBakery, Cookies Cupcakes and Cardio, etc knew how much time I've spent on their videos, they'd all get restraining orders.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%