Travelling With Fondant Covered Cake

Decorating By virenhomemade Updated 29 May 2014 , 1:30pm by cai0311

virenhomemade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
virenhomemade Posted 27 May 2014 , 5:35am
post #1 of 7

AHi.. I am planning to bake a two tire cake filled n frosted with dark choc ganache n covered in fondant. I shall pack each layer separately with cling wrap n pack them with help of thermocol in big box. I shall be preparing the cakes a day in advance. The travel time is 12-15 hrs. Temp would b 30-35C during travel. Please suggest if this is possible to pull off neatly. Any good suggestions are welcome.. waiting for reply..

6 replies
lcubed83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lcubed83 Posted 27 May 2014 , 12:40pm
post #2 of 7

I just recently transported a cake about 10 hours.  

- Each tier was in its own corrugated box or cake carrier;  I used candy melts to "glue" it to the box/carrier so it would not shift. 

- I did not wrap in plastic wrap, as the fondant seals the cake.  Make sure you apply the fondant with time for it to dry before traveling.  

- Make sure your car is well-cooled with the AC.  I did not put any type of cooling packs or dry ice.  

After months of worry, the trip went very smoothly, and the outcome was great!  Good luck to you

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 27 May 2014 , 2:06pm
post #3 of 7

AI delivered a cake 7 hours from home one time. I just put each tier in its own box with a non slip mat under the box. Turned the air conditioner on high and made sure I didn't make any crazy turns or slam on the brakes.

Sealing the cakes might cause the cakes to sweat (condensation). I wouldn't do that.

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 27 May 2014 , 9:32pm
post #4 of 7

AI strongly discourage convering the the fondant with saran. The fondant will soften an any creases in the plastic wrap will transfer to the fondant surface, marring it.

ellavanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellavanilla Posted 27 May 2014 , 10:08pm
post #5 of 7

3 weeks ago I took 4 tiers in two boxes. Two were ganache under fondant. Two were IMBC under fondant. I took them from the fridge straight into cardboard boxes lined with bubble wrap and a "freezie" in each box. Not only were they cool, but they were well padded. 

virenhomemade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
virenhomemade Posted 29 May 2014 , 7:54am
post #6 of 7

AThank you so much ladies. This is big help. Also im plNning to add laces and fondant moulds in decoration and royal icing .... how much beforehand should I make the laces n moulded designs ..how long shd I let it dry. Or should I make it n put it on cake on time aftef reaching the destination. I have 5 hrs after reaching destination.. however I would prefer to take it ready made. Please advice. Appreciate your suggestions :)

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 29 May 2014 , 1:30pm
post #7 of 7

AI would put the pieces on at home and take a couple extra with me to the venue.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%