Birdcage Wedding Cake Help

Decorating By AmyKY Updated 25 May 2014 , 9:12pm by AmyKY

AmyKY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmyKY Posted 24 May 2014 , 12:50pm
post #1 of 6

A[B]Hi guys, I need help and or Reassurance if possible :( Hobby baker here who has done no more than birthday cakes for friends and family. I am however doing my friends wedding cake as a present next Saturday and even though iv all equipment here I am in a terrible state on how To time management with this. How early can I start baking the sponges for the birdcage and how could I time the covering/decorating appropriately over a few days. I will be stacking at the venue on saturday morning. It is a 12" fruit cake (done by in laws already) 9" carrot cake and 6" lemon birdcage. I am also nervous with the doweling for this cake as I have never done anything over a 2 tier and I am unsure on how much supports are needed. Any help would be excelent. Thanks in advance :) [/B]

5 replies
AmyKY Posted 25 May 2014 , 10:57am
post #2 of 6

ABump*

savannahquinn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
savannahquinn Posted 25 May 2014 , 11:27am
post #3 of 6

Sine no one has responded I'll let you know what I think...so,  many bake and freeze well in advance.  I usually bake a few days before and then wrap really well and put in my fridge. It's never been a problem. I also ice and fondant cakes 1 to 2 days before and put in fridge... As fart as stacking a three tier, I'd use SPS support system, but not sure you have time to order it.  That being said, I've also stacked three tiers with wooden dowel supports.  I'm not sure how tall your top 6 inch birdcage tier will be but it's pretty easy to stack a 4 inch high/ 6 inch tier on top.  You will see it's really not a big deal.  I just use candy melts that match the color fondant underneath the cake board to make sure it doesn't slide and I've never had a problem.  If you're  stacking on site, I would just use a dab of whatever you have on hand, bc,  ganache....If your top layer is exceptionally tall you may need an extra cake board and dowels in it.  I hope that helps...

AmyKY Posted 25 May 2014 , 2:30pm
post #4 of 6

AThanks very much for reply savannahquinn. No time to order the SPS system im not Sure where to order it from ireland and who stocks it. I will definitely try it another time. I have bamboo and plastic dowels here. I couldnt get my hands on the hollowed ones either so these will have to do hopefully. I want to do a 6" or 8" high birdcage as bride wants height. Maybe bake sponges wednesday, fill and bc Thurs, cover and Decorate fri for The sat morn delivery? Id this timeframe good or Is that too soon. I normally bake and decorate the day before the cake is needed for maximum freshness but it is just not possible this time around.

savannahquinn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
savannahquinn Posted 25 May 2014 , 2:48pm
post #5 of 6

AYour time line sounds good. For every four inches of cake people have Added cake board and supports. I typically do as well. I order sps On line but I'm in us. :)

AmyKY Posted 25 May 2014 , 9:12pm
post #6 of 6

AAw your a star thanks very much!!! I feel a lot better now :) starting sugarflower roses tonight so excited about this project now :) :) :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%