Royal Frosting

Decorating By Marielijah Updated 27 May 2014 , 2:16pm by Marielijah

Marielijah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marielijah Posted 23 May 2014 , 7:52pm
post #1 of 6

Hi Baking Buddies...  how long will royal frosting last before having to use it?  can I make it a couple weeks ahead of time and if so, does it need to be refrigerated?

5 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 23 May 2014 , 11:15pm
post #2 of 6

Royal should not be refrigerated, as moisture will ruin it.  If you make it from fresh egg whites it will last maybe a week.  You can use meringue powder or powdered egg whites it should last maybe a couple of weeks.

Keep it well covered with plastic wrap right on it, then a layer of aluminum foil.  Do NOT cover it with a wet/damp cloth as many recipes tell you as it will pick up the moisture and turn to soup :(

If when you go to use it it seems to have seperated, just use a wire whip (small hand-held) and stir it up again.  It's best to stir in a slow, figure 8 motion so as not to incorporated any air bubbles.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 24 May 2014 , 3:01am
post #3 of 6

I refrigerate and/or freeze royal icing all the time.  You should not refrigerate finished royal flowers or decorations as moisture will ruin them.

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 24 May 2014 , 5:37am
post #4 of 6

I too have refrigerated RI - I usually put mine into a disposable piping bag and tie it off securely, that way it is airtight so won't dry out, I don't do anything that requires using a piping tip with RI so I just cut the end off when I want to use it and it is good to go. If I have left overs I just put that into a fresh piping bag.

peppercorns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peppercorns Posted 25 May 2014 , 7:10am
post #5 of 6

AHello there, I have done both and if refrigerated it stays a bit longer about a week, although it is still useable after a week it is more difficult to work with especially piping with small tips like tip 1 or 0, best to make flowers out of them and then you can keep them indefinitely. If left out use it within three days, you have to reheat each time. Some say you can use them far longer than that but it starts to taste funny. Good luck:-):-)

Marielijah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marielijah Posted 27 May 2014 , 2:16pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you everyone for your insights and advice.  I love this place!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%