Outline On Fondant Lettering

Decorating By Sue9069 Updated 20 May 2014 , 4:29pm by Sue9069

Sue9069 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sue9069 Posted 19 May 2014 , 11:43pm
post #1 of 17

ACan anyone tell me how I can outline fondant lettering? I tried using a small length of fondant in a different color, but my letters are too small. I want to get this effect.

16 replies
Sue9069 Posted 19 May 2014 , 11:46pm
post #2 of 17

AOops...my photo isn't there. Let me try again.

[IMG ALT=""]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3238434/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

kellyk1234 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellyk1234 Posted 20 May 2014 , 12:08am
post #3 of 17

I think the best way would be to paint the outline with silver highlighter dust. You would have to have a steady hand and a tiny paint brush. It's what I would do.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 20 May 2014 , 12:17am
post #4 of 17

A

Original message sent by kellyk1234

I think the best way would be to paint the outline with silver highlighter dust. You would have to have a steady hand and a tiny paint brush. It's what I would do.

Yep.

Sue9069 Posted 20 May 2014 , 12:25am
post #5 of 17

AI figured the painting thing would be the way, but not so sure about the steady hand thing. :)

AZCouture Posted 20 May 2014 , 12:43am
post #6 of 17

AAre you cutting the letters out [@]Sue9069[/@]

kellyk1234 Posted 20 May 2014 , 1:06am
post #7 of 17

I'm not sure if this will make sense and it may not be the easiest way, but I would print out the 2014 on a piece of card stock paper the size that I wanted, cut it out by hand, roll out my fondant, lay the numbers on the fondant and cut them out with an exact knife. Then print a smaller size 2014 to lay on top of the larger size fondant numbers (where its small enough for the outline) and then paint it.  That way you will have even lines. Does that make sense? lol

AZCouture Posted 20 May 2014 , 3:09am
post #8 of 17

A

I'm not sure if this will make sense and it may not be the easiest way, but I would print out the 2014 on a piece of card stock paper the size that I wanted, cut it out by hand, roll out my fondant, lay the numbers on the fondant and cut them out with an exact knife. Then print a smaller size 2014 to lay on top of the larger size fondant numbers (where its small enough for the outline) and then paint it.  That way you will have even lines. Does that make sense? lol

Makes perfect sense to me. That's what I do for certain things, and will airbrush around those lines, or cut the card stock so what I'm painting is [B]inside[/B] the lines, etc etc.

Sue9069 Posted 20 May 2014 , 3:19am
post #9 of 17

A

Makes sense to me! I was, however, going to cut these out with some letter cutters that I have. I will keep this trick in mind for the next one! :grin:

Sue9069 Posted 20 May 2014 , 3:20am
post #10 of 17

A

Original message sent by AZCouture

Are you cutting the letters out [@]Sue9069[/@]

Was planning on using letter cut outs...

kellyk1234 Posted 20 May 2014 , 12:07pm
post #11 of 17

AOk good! I've only done something like that once and was thinking there's got to be an easier way! I guess not though.

hula1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hula1974 Posted 20 May 2014 , 12:35pm
post #12 of 17

I'm not sure what the cutters you are using are like, so this might not work.

But when I want to top a NFSC with fondant I use the same cutter that I cut the cookie out with but when I cut the fondant I press down to cut and then wiggle it back and forth a lot.  This compresses the fondant and makes the shape slightly smaller than the it should be.  That way it sits on my cookie with a little room around the edge.

I wonder if you can cut out silver ones as you normally would, then cut out purple ones the way I described above.  Then layer the purple on top of the silver and create the halo around it.

Just a thought!

ropalma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ropalma Posted 20 May 2014 , 1:10pm
post #13 of 17

I use cutters and cut 2 out.  I then use my exacto knife and cut away from one of the cutouts to make it smaller than the other one then lay the smaller one on top of the larger cutout.  It works fine for me.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 20 May 2014 , 3:24pm
post #14 of 17

An easier way -- rather than cutting one set smaller, smash one set of cut outs a little larger.

AZCouture Posted 20 May 2014 , 3:30pm
post #15 of 17

AHonestly, just paint the edges. It's easier than you think.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 20 May 2014 , 4:04pm
post #16 of 17

to add to all the good advice/ideas-- hold the dried letter in one hand and take an edible ink marker and just run it around the edge -- you can get bold and angle the marker over some to make the outline deeper-- but i've never seen a silver edible ink marker -- not that it doesn't exist i've just never seen it--

so that way ^^^ you slide the marker around the edge--this next way using paint or powder you can slide the edge of a paintbrush down against the edge of the dry letter all the way around to ensure getting it even -

Sue9069 Posted 20 May 2014 , 4:29pm
post #17 of 17

AThanks everybody! I think the painting thing is the way to go, although I did have another thought I may try sometime. Cut the letters you are going to need out of whatever color your main color will be. Then, take some fondant or 50/50 gumpaste that is white, and cut the letters out of the white. You can then set your colored letters in the spot where you cut them from the white. The you can trim the white and voila! Make sense?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%