How Can I Reproduce This Fan?

Decorating By cecescakecreations Updated 3 Jun 2014 , 3:40am by cecescakecreations

cecescakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cecescakecreations Posted 19 May 2014 , 1:44am
post #1 of 18

Ahttp://stackedcakes.com.au/_images/orig/1600/31-1.jpg I have been asked to make a cake similar to this one and am stumped on how I will make this fan and support it without making it look heavy and sloppy. Anyone have any suggestions?

17 replies
maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 19 May 2014 , 2:12am
post #2 of 18

I would make the fan out of heavy card stock with the "L" cut out.  Then, I'd roll out a thin gum paste [pastillage, or mexican paste would also work] rectangle,  place it in the fan former I made, cut the "L" in it, trim it to fit the form, and allow it to dry for a very long time [10 days].  I'd paint it and allow it to dry again.  I'd adhere it to the fondant on the cake using royal icing, pipe a snail trail of royal on either side of it once set, and paint that gold.

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 19 May 2014 , 2:42am
post #3 of 18

Does the fan HAVE to be edible?  Why not make it out of double sided gold paper and edge with royal.  There's nothing lighter than paper and less heart problems during delivery if it topples over.

nadiacorallo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nadiacorallo Posted 19 May 2014 , 2:45am
post #4 of 18

AThe card stock sounds like a good plan.

cecescakecreations Posted 19 May 2014 , 3:00am
post #5 of 18

AWow maybenot, that's a great idea. I don't have ten days though. It is due this weekend. Do you think it would still work out or should I go with the paper idea?

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 19 May 2014 , 3:18am
post #6 of 18

IF it has to be edible the only gumpaste recipe I'd use is from Linda McClure, the creator of the Silhouette for Cakes Machine.  You can roll it extra thin to make it light and then I wouldn't apply it until the cake was in place at the venue.

sixinarow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sixinarow Posted 19 May 2014 , 3:49am
post #7 of 18

Quote:

Originally Posted by cecescakecreations 

Wow maybenot, that's a great idea. I don't have ten days though. It is due this weekend. Do you think it would still work out or should I go with the paper idea?

You can use wafer paper - edible and light weight. To get it that gold, apply edible gold leaf to the paper with a small amount of piping gel.

nadiacorallo Posted 19 May 2014 , 3:04pm
post #8 of 18

AGumpaste doesn't need 10 days to dry but it depends how thick you roll it. If it is just a thin sheet on each side of the card stock then I'd say only a few days. I don't think it would need to be rock hard either as you would have that internal support as well. You van even use a thin cakeboard and cut that out.You can always try it and if worst comes to worst and it doesn't dry then have the wafer paper idea as back up. Wafer paper would look more delicate though.

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 19 May 2014 , 8:31pm
post #9 of 18

A

Original message sent by cecescakecreations

Wow maybenot, that's a great idea. I don't have ten days though. It is due this weekend. Do you think it would still work out or should I go with the paper idea?

If you can train a fan on it, it would be fine in 3 days. Make at least 2 for good measure.

cecescakecreations Posted 19 May 2014 , 8:39pm
post #10 of 18

AOk. I made one today. It doesn't look the same. I really am stumped as to how to make it just the same but se la vi! Thanks for all the help.

nadiacorallo Posted 21 May 2014 , 9:50pm
post #11 of 18

AHow did you decide to make it in the end?

nadiacorallo Posted 21 May 2014 , 9:51pm
post #12 of 18

A

Original message sent by cecescakecreations

Ok. I made one today. It doesn't look the same. I really am stumped as to how to make it just the same but se la vi! Thanks for all the help.

cecescakecreations Posted 23 May 2014 , 1:17pm
post #13 of 18

AI made two. One very thin rolled gum paste laid over a folded piece of card stock. And one a bit thicker and I put two skewers into it so That I can stand it up into the cake. I deliver it tomorrow and haven't decided which one to use yet. I'll keep u posted

sixinarow Posted 30 May 2014 , 4:35pm
post #14 of 18

Quote:

Originally Posted by cecescakecreations 

I made two. One very thin rolled gum paste laid over a folded piece of card stock. And one a bit thicker and I put two skewers into it so That I can stand it up into the cake. I deliver it tomorrow and haven't decided which one to use yet. I'll keep u posted

What did you decide to do - hope it worked out for you!

cecescakecreations Posted 31 May 2014 , 9:28pm
post #15 of 18

AI wound up using the bigger of the two gumpaste fans. I added after delivery and it looked wonderful!! Thanks for all your help

sixinarow Posted 1 Jun 2014 , 8:47pm
post #16 of 18

Yay!! So glad it worked out for you! :)

nadiacorallo Posted 2 Jun 2014 , 3:22am
post #17 of 18

APictures!

cecescakecreations Posted 3 Jun 2014 , 3:40am
post #18 of 18

AUnfortunately it was a quick in and out delivery and I didn't have time for a photo. The customer said she would send one but I have yet to see one appear! Ugh

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%