Pricing Help. Am I Charging Too Much Or Too Little??

Baking By savannah1986 Updated 6 Jun 2014 , 4:40am by SystemMod1

savannah1986 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
savannah1986 Posted 17 May 2014 , 7:32pm
post #1 of 8

I plan to buy cake boss software, until then I need a little help. I did a bridal shower, 24 cupcakes with gerber daisy toppers. I charged $1.50 for each cupcake and an additional $.50 each for filling. that would be $2.00 per cupcake. I will include pictures. Did I charge too much or too little? or am I right in between? I live in a rather small town and I've been told my prices are too high, have even lost customers due to this. so I looked at other bakeries in surrounding areas and lowered my prices close to theirs. *

7 replies
SweeteryBoston Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweeteryBoston Posted 25 May 2014 , 9:11pm
post #2 of 8

You made those daisies by hand out of fondant/gumpaste??  If that's the case, there is absolutely no way you are charging too much.

Granted, I live in Boston, but those would go for $3.50 each at the very least if all of that work was hand-made.  You would never find a regular cupcake with no filling and simple frosting at less than $2.00 from professional folks out here, so PLEASE don't charge less than $2 for those beauties!!

schnumvf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
schnumvf Posted 27 May 2014 , 6:44pm
post #3 of 8

ASo for this order you were at $24 a dozen. I don't know what to tell you about the price. You need to know what cost went into them and what profit you need to get out of them for this to work for you as a business. That said, 50cents per cupcake for filling does sound like a lot. ::shrug:: I streamlined my prices to make it more simple and filled or not mine are the same price. You would think everyone would want a filling then, but nope. People want what they want. :) So my advice is to go back over your cost. Read through some old threads on what to do with that # that you get and go from there. And remember, not everyone is going to be ok with $24 a dozen (or $20...) thats why they get Walmart cupcakes instead. It's their loss. Yuck. Go find the people that know it's worth a few extra bucks for something that tastes amazing.

savannah1986 Posted 28 May 2014 , 10:38pm
post #4 of 8

you're absolutely right, thank you so very much! you know, that client actually told me during pricing discussion that she could "go get a cake for $50 at the grocery store". that pissed me off to no end. I wanted to tell her to go get one from walmart then, but I didn't want to sound mean. Thing is, she can't get a custom cake or cupcakes from walmart with custom fondant daisy toppers in her EXACT wedding colors. nor will it be from scratch cake and filling! I'm too worried about pleasing everyone, but truth is I suppose I need to weed out the people who want cheap gross flash frozen cakes and bucket icing.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 28 May 2014 , 11:35pm
post #5 of 8

Quote:

Originally Posted by savannah1986 

""....... that client actually told me during pricing discussion that she could "go get a cake for $50 at the grocery store"...........""

90% of the people do exactly that and are reasonably happy.

Do you actually have a business?  You wrote on another thread that this was your 'first gig'. Have you done any business calculations as to your cost and pricing, as this is your 4th post asking about the prices to charge.  

savannah1986 Posted 5 Jun 2014 , 7:50pm
post #6 of 8

AI am not in business yet, it is usually family and friends that hire me. The business is something I'm working towards but I'm not quite there yet as I have so much to learn still.

thecakewitch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakewitch Posted 5 Jun 2014 , 8:00pm
post #7 of 8

Quote:

Originally Posted by savannah1986 

I am not in business yet, it is usually family and friends that hire me. The business is something I'm working towards but I'm not quite there yet as I have so much to learn still.

Please check what SystemMod1 has to say about Pricing and Illegal Business here: http://cakecentral.com/t/776705/pricing-help-please#post_7522638

Thank you for your thread, pricing has been asked many times previous on the forums, please start here:  

http://cakecentral.com/t/764720/policies-for-posting-the-cake-decorating-business-forum

Then I encourage you to check the stickies at the top of the business forum for pricing matrixes as well as using the search function to read the thousands of other threads dedicated to pricing.

and here:

http://cakecentral.com/t/776749/what-pan-can-i-bake-a-cream-cheese-pound-cake-in/30#post_7522634

Thank you for your thread, please see Cake Central's rules regarding illegal baking here:  

http://cakecentral.com/t/764720/policies-for-posting-the-cake-decorating-business-forum

Cake Central is not a place for people that do not follow laws.  We encourage you to file appropriately before discussing selling here, as we are a forum full of professional and legal bakers/decorators from all over the world.

Thank you.

SystemMod1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SystemMod1 Posted 6 Jun 2014 , 4:40am
post #8 of 8

Thank you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%